Video of splitting 22 rimfire bullet on an axe

Topstrap

I've been running longrange rimfire matches at my house here in East Ohio this summer and have been building various target racks to challenge the shooters. The latest isn't really longrange but think it's quite challenging for the distance. We shoot from 25 yards out to 197 at my house, 25 yards out to 200 yards at a buddies and another has matches from 50 yards out to 350 yards. All this is done with 22 rimfire rifles and pistols.

I went down today and thought I'd try to get video of the new target. First try I kept hitting the very edge but it went right, then left, then right, then left.... ya get the idea. The group would have been one hole but it takes such a perfect hit that the point glances off the side of the edge. I filed a really sharp edge that would cut paper on it. I was talking with a buddy about how a hollow point or flat point round would do. He brought me up a few he put in a tool to file the front flat, the grouping was so bad it wouldn't stay on a 7 inch square at that distance so I won't have to worry about someone sneaking in one of those rounds to make it easier to do. Haven't tried a hollow point yet.

Second try was better, the gun is my newly acquired Remington 40XB with a SWFA 20X fixed power Mil-Quad scope on it. I used Wolf MT ammo, I have a limit of $8.00/50 ammo cost for my matches in the standard class of guns but do have an Open Class where anything goes but they don't shoot for score with the other guns, just bragging rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amdV5gegGYE

Something like this should really appeal to the Bench Rest guys and should be really easy to do but be a waste of that high dollar ammo. Guess a small target could be placed on each side plate and try to split it perfect to get highest point value for each piece on the bull? Just jesting with ya all, but is fun to play with targets like this, ya really gotta have everything perfect each shot to do it.

Topstrap

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.