Drill bit for bergers

I don't touch the 156eol it has been a great bullet in everything from 6.5PRC to 26 nosler. Also looks like the perfect ticket in 6.5-300 Weatherby. I've seen deer,antelope,deer and elk shot with it so far and the reports I get direct from 3 others has been very similar! For me the jury is still out on the 300gr hybrid. In 30 cal the 215 has done well. The 230 hybrid has done ok.

I don't touch the 156eol it has been a great bullet in everything from 6.5PRC to 26 nosler. Also looks like the perfect ticket in 6.5-300 Weatherby. I've seen deer,antelope,deer and elk shot with it so far and the reports I get direct from 3 others has been very similar! For me the jury is still out on the 300gr hybrid. In 30 cal the 215 has done well. The 230 hybrid has done ok.
when you say 230 hybrid has done ok what do you mean?

I shot one last year and the 230 exited thru a tennis ball size hole with lots of lung damage, friend used one on a bull this year also in a RUM. He reported less lung damage with small 2" exit. I did not personally see that elk shot or the wound. Both were 5-600 yd shots. I've shot and seen shot a lot of game with Bergers of all types over the last five years and really very few exit and the tissue damage in the chest is usually tremendous. Was a Nosler partition and Barn guy for years and for now I'll stick with Bergers

If you are going to go to your local welding supply house they have cutting tip drills , orifice drills , in a pin vise that are calibrated in size to drill out the debris that get in your cutting torch tips . I think that a tapered point on my scribe works good for me to straighten out the dings and unclog the tips . I put a piece of welding rod in my drill and ran it on a grinding wheel to make it longer and more pointed tip .

I visually inspect all the Berger meplats, when we don't like one it is used for load development or shooting rocks. We do insert a small needle into the cavity to ensure there is a cavity there. You will find one out of every 200-400 that is not a true hollow point, IE. the hollow point is not hollow at all. Do not shoot that one at an animal. We've never seen a need to drill them

Why not buy a REAL bullet???
From my experience with Berger bullets, I would not shoot at anything bigger than a coyote.
*covers up my bullet shipment that just came via UPS to the shop after reading your post* Okay what is a "real bullet" in your opinion? I am truly curious and My Noslers/combined tech, Barnes, Bergers, Hornadys and Lapuas would like to know... *grabs some popcorn and waits for the opening salvos to fly*

Check out Nathan Fosters video on how to anneal Berger bullets on YouTube if yer wanting them to open up at long range...

I bought the meplat trimmers for my .308 and 7mm Bergers and it eliminates the closed tip issue. The little tiny drill bits were kind of a pain in the *Rule 4 Violation* and they broke easy too, even with a good pin vice. They say trimming the meplat results in a .02 moa deficiency, but I noticed no difference in accuracy at all out to 600 yards. The only one I buried in a furry critter this year was a 230 hybrid out of my .300 norma in an Axis deer buck at 100 yards. Kind of overkill, but it did very little meat damage and performed just as expected.

Where did you fi d the trimmer?

Have any of you noticed flattening of the tips caused by recoil when in the magazine and rounds fired?
Will trimming the meplat be enough to prevent this?

0.040" into a 185 juggernaut, 130 AR hybrid or a 230 OTM to make sure they are clear has worked flawlessly for the last 22 white tail, the last 17 feral hogs and last four coyotes that I have taken. Everything from 6.5 Grendel to 264 Win and 308 to 30/338. Ranges from 7 yards to 719 all done dealing within 20 yards of where they were introduced.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts