Double Naught Spy

I am not dead! Zen Archery has been killing me, however.

I had cut back on a lot of my internet time with stuff that was going on here at home. I will endeavor to post more, LOL.

Z A and I did have some luck a couple of weeks ago on a nice boar. We team shot it, but there was no video of the actual downing of the hog. Z A was trying out his new 6.5 Creedmore and I was trying out a .50 Beowulf that is on loan to me.

Here is the aftermath video from that hunt...
[ame]https://youtu.be/SPDb0Pi1JAc[/ame]

Thanks for the post, I think the 6,5 Gren. is a better choice than the Beowolf. (How many accurate shots could you get off with the Bewolf on a charging bore?)
I was just checking to be sure you were OK. MY wife likes for me to keep tabs on the people that convince me to spend $7.000 or more for hunting. HA HA!

I don't know your wife, but I like your wife!

The first hog I took was with a .45/70 and that will always be special to me. The .50 Beowulf is a lot like the .45/70, but in a semi platform. It does have a lot more recoil and isn't as friendly for quick followup shots. I agree with you 100% there.

With that said, both big boars certainly can work well for hog hunting. I would not be experimenting with the Beowulf right now except of a buddy of mine asked if I would try to shoot a few hogs with his upper and document the results. He just sent me 4 more boxes of 4 different loads to try. No way I was going to turn down an offer like that!! So I will be shooting some Beowulf for a while. :D

In looking at the ballistic charts for this XTP round, it looks like my maximum practical distance is going to be about 160 yards and I suspect the others won't be far off from that. At about that distance, the round goes subsonic and drops below 1000 ft lbs., plus it also starts having significant issues with drop right. From about 25-115, it is very flat shooting and should impact within about an inch of my POA. So that is my optimal range. That works out fine as that is within the range I typically get to shoot hogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.