Does "Shooter" app need service

joelpresmyk8

Hey guys, I know the ballistic apps for smartphones have been covered and I have read the thread on them. But what I can't seem to find is: do you need service to get the weather info to load into your phone? Or can you be without service and it still work? Thanx in advance

If you choose the automatic mode it will enter atmospheric conditions for your location. But yes you need cell service for that mode. Other wise as WR said you enter it manually from a hand held weather station like a Kestrel. I choose manual input as I like to put my cell phone on "airplane mode" to conserve battery and that turns off cell service. But the rest of the shooter program operates just fine without service once loaded to your phone.

Jeff

Interesting and good to know. On one of my older phones which I saved I can't get it to recognize spin drift. I was wondering if it had anything to do with not having service. Seems maybe I have an issue some where else.

Interesting and good to know. On one of my older phones which I saved I can't get it to recognize spin drift. I was wondering if it had anything to do with not having service. Seems maybe I have an issue some where else.

You will need to add in bullet length, in the bullet profile, to get SD to work. No cell service needed.

Jeff

I have been using the shooter app for about three years now.
I put my phone in airplane mode. The environmental data comes from gps satellite's not cell service.
I have not had any problems to date.

I have been using the shooter app for about three years now.
I put my phone in airplane mode. The environmental data comes from gps satellite's not cell service.
I have not had any problems to date.

I think you should research this. My understanding is that when on "airplane mode" the phone will not pull or transmit any GPS or Cell phone signal.

It could be you have been running all this time off the last inputted data before you went to airplane mode. If so this could be something you want to correct.

Here is what the "Shooter" manual says.

Using GPS and the Internet to pull in current atmospheric conditions
Shooter offers the ability to populate your atmospheric inputs by grabbing your current location via the GPS in your device and then downloading current conditions from a nearby weather station using the Internet. To use this feature, you must obviously have a device that has GPS capability and is connected to either WiFi or a data connection through your phone's service provider.
There are 2 ways to pull this data in:

1. Auto: By enabling the "Auto Atmosphere" in the Preferences. When this is enabled, Shooter will attempt to get a GPS fix and download weather data as soon as you open up the shot data input screen. Once it gets this data, the atmosphere fields will be populated for you and the "Location" will be updated to show where it pulled weather data from.
  2. Manual: You can touch the Menu button on your device and choose the "Station Atmosphere" option. This does the exact same thing as "Auto Atmosphere", it's just invoked manually. You can use this even when "Auto Atmosphere" is enabled to force it to re-pull data.

I stand corrected. The phone must have service to import the environmental data.
Once it is imported you can save environmental data for that location and put the phone in Airplane mode to save battery.
Sorry for adding to the confusion.
KK

Just a heads up...your smart phone doesn't know squat. It gets all of it's weather info from a local weather station. Your phone does not have a thermometer, it does not know the barometric psi...or the humidity..or the wind speed or direction.

For me, that weather station is 20 miles away....at a lower altitude..on flat ground!!

If your going to get serious about LR shooting, buy a hand held weather station (3500 or 4500) and get pinpoint, up to date environmental info to feed your smart phone.

Just my .02,
Tod

Yes, 4xforfun is correct. Even if you have cell service, the imported weather data is just imported from the nearest weather station... and chances are the temp and pressure are different where you are sitting.

I use my own devices to measure absolute pressure, temp and wind.

Just a heads up...your smart phone doesn't know squat. It gets all of it's weather info from a local weather station. Your phone does not have a thermometer, it does not know the barometric psi...or the humidity..or the wind speed or direction.

For me, that weather station is 20 miles away....at a lower altitude..on flat ground!!

If your going to get serious about LR shooting, buy a hand held weather station (3500 or 4500) and get pinpoint, up to date environmental info to feed your smart phone.

Just my .02,
Tod

This is correct, and I do input manually. But it was interesting once, on a mountain we hiked into in WY. my son and I compared this out to 800 yards. Using the same rifle and data on two separate phones with shooter. Just for grins. At that location we were getting the same dial ups on automatic as we were with manual input from a kestrel. I realize this could change with location but up on that mountain far from any town both were on. Also it should be said distance of shot will play a large roll here. We all know you get away with a lot more at 700 and under.

Jeff

Is there a spot to adjust the scope calibration.Like I want to adjust mil value?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.