Does anyone use 50 cal for hunting?

Eric Stecker

We are exploring the addition of the 50 cal to the Berger line. I want to design a jacketed bullet (not a solid) that is best for those who use them.

For those of you waiting on the 270 and 338 cal the 370 cal bullets should be ready soon (2-4 weeks) and the 338 cal are planned to be ready in the late summer of 2008.

The 50 cal project does not affect the schedule for these other projects.

Regards,
Eric

hopefully

I just test fired my 50 and certainly plan to hunt with it next year. I have yet to shoot anything but 20 A-max bullets so I can't comment on performance yet. If there wasn't too much sacrifice something a little lighter than 750 may be good.. 650'ish? I don't want to carry the extra 100gr bullet when the gun is already 50lbs..haha.

2 weights

Hi Eric I would think 2 weights would be awsome one light one around 600-650gr forbthe slow twist barrels and smaler cases and a heavy one around 800gr for faster twist 50s and biger cases.

Cheers Bill
Australia

the 338 cal are planned to be ready in the late summer of 2008.

does this mean the regular folk might be able to purchase some by then?

i'm still counting on testing these for ya. when will my test bullets be ready?

Eric,

I would like to see a 50cal bullet in the 650grn class for hunting purposes.
My 510 Snipe-Tac has been designed for dangerous game or 1000yd shooting.
Rifle weight will be from 10# on up, depending on bbl options.
I would think this weight bullet would be capable of speeds around 2600fps from the 408 C-T case.

Dave

I am looking forward to the 338 as well. Can not wait.

Having some Berger 50 Cal bullets would be great. It would get me into thinking about reloading for my 50 BMG.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.