Does anyone have a lightweight hunting rig in 6.5-280 Ackley

I have a 6.5-280 AI built on my trusty old M700 by WTO. It has a Stocky's VG2 stock, 26" Proof barrel, B&A two-stage trigger, and tips the scale right at 9lb with the pictured Z6 3-18x50 (22oz I think). It was intended to be a medium-light rifle for back-pack Coues hunting... so light but still really accurate and easy to shoot. The brake is from WTO, and it cuts the recoil substantially.... feels about like my friends un-braked 243 or my (heavier) 25CM for comparison.

CBnsPd3.jpg
This is the information I was looking for, WTO was/is on the short list of builders, except I am wanting to use one of the ultralight titanium actions available.

Thank you!

I have a 6.5 x 280AI that my good friend and custom rifle guy Randy Fite built for me. I use 130 Nosler AB w/RL26. getting 3100 fps. hand loads that Randy help to design. Deadly accurate. Fun to shoot. very mild recoil - maybe 243 type recoil. My kids have shot it w/no issues. Jewell trigger, Krieger Barrel, Deviant Action, HS Precision bottom metal w/a magazine, leupold scope, mcmillian stock, Randy's custom muzzle break. His phone number is 936-662-6263. Not sure on the weight but close to your requirements.

This is the information I was looking for, WTO was/is on the short list of builders, except I am wanting to use one of the ultralight titanium actions available.

Thank you!
Happy to help!

I really can't recommend WTO enough.... the re-barreling transformed it from a mediocre 25-06 into the perfect pack rifle for me. It's boring accurate with 140 and 156 Berger EHs or 140 ELDs, and was a breeze to tune right from break-in. Give them a call.... they would probably be happy to build an amazing rifle on a Lone Peak, and what a gem that would be!

Most ultra lite rifles aren't made to shoot off a bench . Recoil can be stiff a lot due to stock design and pencil barrels. I have owned several over the last 30 years. The lightest was a 6.5 cm on a skeletonized 700 short action 23" pencil barrel, no brake, blind mag ,mag tech rings, Leupold ultra lite 3x9 scope 9oz. with cds with 4 rounds in the gun total weight was 6.0lbs. even. Kicked harder than my 340 that weighed 7lbs ,4oz. with 2 rounds in the box . Iv'e sold both to friends who still hike a lot. To me the definition of ultra lite stops at 7lbs. My son built a 5 1/2lb. 300wm then put heavy glass on it to keep the weight under 8lbs. that's not a bad way to go. Lots of options just do your home work.

The right brake will make recoil a non-issue. My little 7 yr old son can shoot my 7 Allen Mag (338 Lapua Improved case) with no trouble or pain. (9 lb scoped but a lot more gun than a 6.5/280 AI and it hardly moves. I can spot shots at 300 yds) The Terminator brakes are a good option, but there are too many to mention.
Not sure how this reply got posted, not intentional.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5-280 AI built on my trusty old M700 by WTO. It has a Stocky's VG2 stock, 26" Proof barrel, B&A two-stage trigger, and tips the scale right at 9lb with the pictured Z6 3-18x50 (22oz I think). It was intended to be a medium-light rifle for back-pack Coues hunting... so light but still really accurate and easy to shoot. The brake is from WTO, and it cuts the recoil substantially.... feels about like my friends un-braked 243 or my (heavier) 25CM for comparison.

CBnsPd3.jpg
Quick question. Do you like that Stockys stock, VG2? I've eyeballed them but have hesitated to get one.

Quick question. Do you like that Stockys stock, VG2? I've eyeballed them but have hesitated to get one.
I have one on a rem 700 long range, fits well and shoots pretty good. Could use a cheek piece to provide better cheek weld to stock.

It's a great stock.... really light, nice and rigid, and bedded well with minimal fuss (I have the version with Al pillars, not the full length block). It was part of a special price bundle with the Proof barrel, which they do every so often. My only complaint was the 80G sandpaper finish that it came with, but I smoothed that down a bit while doing the rattle-can + sponge DIY camo. I also added flush cups for a sling, and it seems really well built after drilling into it. Looks like we might share AOs, so let me know if you want to check it out some time!