Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

• Usually do

Votes: 807 35.7%
  • Usually do not

Votes: 1,193 52.7%
  • No but I probably will in future

Votes: 263 11.6%

• Total voters
Hearing protection just hampers your hearing ability
Not necessarily I wear a set of pro ears that have a noise cancelling circuit. It amplifies all sounds I can hear deer munching acorns 50 meters away, while dampening any noise above 80db. I shoot a Weatherby 338/378 with a brake and I can tell U it is loud but with my electronic ear muffs it turns the noise off.

I have never ever worn hearing protection while hunting. I will always wear hearing protection when I pull the trigger. Be it at a target or a game animal.

Neal

Since discovering the Peltor sound reactive compact ear muffs Ive used hearing protection on every hunt (not done with suppressed weapons).
Prior to them it was a bit hit and miss, but I've had Sonic II earplugs since they came out in the 80s.
I now do the audiometry monitoring and compensation at work and can appreciate the need for hearing protection.
I test guys my age who have worked in loud heavy industry for 20 years but who have religiously worn hearing protection and have perfect hearing. As opposed to younger blokes who have neglected their ears and attended loud concerts and worked in noisy workshops without protection who rate very poorly.

My ears have lost specific frequencies due to short sharp noises. It is possible to distinguish between normal age related hearing loss and noise related. Not hard to guess what they were, 303s and Brens in the 70s high power hunting rifles in the 80s. My epiphany on personal hearing protection in the 90s nearly came too late.
My advice for what it is worth as a registered occupational health nurse and qualified audiologist, if you will take it is; buy the best set of noise cancelling earplugs you can get and they will repay you 10 fold before you are my age (54).
Plus if you are like me, wearing them amplifying muffs or earplugs will bring the world alive for you. It is like having glasses that have a zoom function. Brilliant!
It is a small investment when you look at how much you and I spend on the 'noise maker' and optics.
Your choice.
Happy shooting.gun)

have worn ESP for years. upgraded from analog to digital a couple of years ago. my two young sons, hunting for 4 yrs, have never shot a gun without their electronic muffs on.

Yesterday after a range session in the gongs a big boar wandered out on the range.
In the rush to get my rifle and ammo back out, I forgot to put my muffs on. Shooting a 6.5-284 with a brake with rearward facing baffles, it felt like I'd been slapped over the ears.

Refined hearing ability is a critical element in the process of communication. Many hunters like myself neglect adequate protection by not using protective aids. The loss of hearing ability will not only affect my hunting abilities but also my ability to interact and communicate effectively with other people. I fully support the use of hearing protection aids especially in underground shooting ranges and other hunting applications where I shoot a 375 magnum. No hunter should allow that he/she should become hard of hearing.

I use a suppressor for hunting and love it. I can trace the ringing in my ears back to 2 shots while hunting when I was a teenager.

I have a pair of ear plugs in a very accessable pocket in case
i need them. While hunting I want to hear all the little sounds
I can. Usually other shooters are far enough away protection
isn't necessary. When hunting duck and goose blinds, you bet
I wear them. The new electronics are probably a wise investment. Bowhunters don't have that problem.

Five Omerc.

It pays to be real careful of your hearing.

I operated a jet Engine test stand in the days before good hearing
wear was available. So now I say huh? alot.

Five Omerc.

It pays to be real careful of your hearing.

I operated a jet Engine test stand in the days before good hearing
wear was available. So now I say huh? alot.

I wear double hearing protection at work. I work on aircraft so I know what you mean. Most my hunting is done by bow. But like I said earlier I alwasy do when at the range or when just out shooting. I need to find something that I can use while hunting so that I can hear all the small things going on around me still.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.