Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

• Usually do

Votes: 807 35.7%
  • Usually do not

Votes: 1,193 52.7%
  • No but I probably will in future

Votes: 263 11.6%

• Total voters
I used to but since we can now hunt with suppressors, I only wear ear plugs when not hunting with my rifle.
I've just come back from New Zealand and many of their rifles are suppressed. Even the kids on smallbore ranges have suppressed means they dont have hearing damage and can hear range commands clearly. Safety First!
We in Western Australia have politicians with..... (I cant say it here) for brains and owning a suppressor will result in the loss of all your firearms and possibly a gaol sentence.
Because "silencers are only for gangsters".
Load of twaddle!
If a gang member is going to shoot a rival he does't go down to the nearest gunstore and buy a suppressor and have it fitted leaving a papertrail, he goes to the laundry cupboard and finds a detergent bottle that fits and with (I shant explain here for legal reasons) a couple of mods uses that then takes it off and puts it in the fire.

There is always someone who can come up with a workaround. Safety should always
be our first concern.

I now have a pair of ear muffs that work great. they take the loud
noise of the range down to an acceptable level and yet I can hear people talking quite
well. Since they multiply sounds 4x, they should be good to hunt with.

Be sure to check your State, local laws and your gun club restrictions.
prior to purchase of a suppressor.

Not exactly sure about the suppressor comments. To legally own one it is quite a process to go through with background checks and everything else. I mentioned that we can now hunt with them; thanks for the law change by our legislature and signed by our governor. I'm not sure why any hunt club or shooting club would be opposed to a gun friendly law. I believe suppressors should be common place and sold right beside the earing protection without any kind of government involvement, but that would stop a source of revenue for the government.

Not exactly sure about the suppressor comments. To legally own one it is quite a process to go through with background checks and everything else. I mentioned that we can now hunt with them; thanks for the law change by our legislature and signed by our governor. I'm not sure why any hunt club or shooting club would be opposed to a gun friendly law. I believe suppressors should be common place and sold right beside the earing protection without any kind of government involvement, but that would stop a source of revenue for the government.

I would suspect that the reason just might be that the NRA competitive rules
3.16a states the sound suppressor is not an approved item.

As long as I can legally own and hunt with one, I will exercise my right to do so. Therefore saying I'm trying to workaround is incorrect. I do not compete by NRA rules, therefore it's a moot point. And the question is about wearing hearing protection hunting. Practical Rifle Series rules say I can shoot a suppressor, NC says I can shoot a suppressor and hunt with a suppressor as long as it's legally obtained. It appears you have something against them.

I would suspect that the reason just might be that the NRA competitive rules
3.16a states the sound suppressor is not an approved item.

It is not an approved item because it is a competitive advantage to have one on as it controls recoil and is considered a muzzle device. How does that have anything to do with the right and use of having one in the real world outside of a competition setting?

It is not an approved item because it is a competitive advantage to have one on as it controls recoil and is considered a muzzle device. How does that have anything to do with the right and use of having one in the real world outside of a competition setting?

You are exactly correct! All tho, some folks live in what they consider the real world of
Rifle clubs, where every member more or less competes. I believe the subject matter for this thread is " Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

A thread entitled "Suppressors and Muzzle Brakes, their uses and propagation"
might be real interesting and useful.

Fyi I use muzzle brakes on new 28 cal. and up, for hunting.

d

Eta: I re read everything and was mistaken.

I used to not wear hearing protection when hunting until I started hunting coyotes with my 3 gun ar. The jp break is a ear drum buster. Now I use electronic muffs and suppressors.

The plugs in the op look like good kit. Electronic hearing protection actually helps you hear better when not shooting.

J Mitchell135

Yes, the muzzle Brakes are ear busters.
But the reduced recoil allowing you to stay on target
is worth the cost of ear protection.

There are other ways to achieve the same result, but
they are far more expensive.

All is relative to the size of the pocket book.

J Mitchell135

Yes, the muzzle Brakes are ear busters.
But the reduced recoil allowing you to stay on target
is worth the cost of ear protection.

There are other ways to achieve the same result, but
they are far more expensive.

All is relative to the size of the pocket book.
It all depends on the muzzle brake. Some of them are horrible for the shooter in terms of blast and noise and some are not. I've shot two versions now that actually seem to reduce the noise to the shooter while still providing very good reduction to both felt recoil and muzzle flip.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.