Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

• Usually do

Votes: 807 35.7%
  • Usually do not

Votes: 1,193 52.7%
  • No but I probably will in future

Votes: 263 11.6%

• Total voters
I tried to use ear protection whenever I use shotgun for water fowls and in the shooting range, but while hunting deer, half of the time I didn't bother to put on any protection. I know, for the sake of my own hearing, I should use them no matter where. :D

Hearing protection just hampers your hearing ability

I've been shooting for over 60 years, and have always used hearing protection. My father insisted when he taught me to shoott. I still have excellent hearing. Many of my friends don't need hearing protection because they're already deaf. For the last 25 years I've used electronic protectors which allow very close to "normal" hearing with good directional capability.

Lou Boyd,

How fortunate you are. 60 years ago, there wasn't a lot of concern given to
protecting the hearing. The emphasis was and still is firearm safety first.

I've been shooting for over 60 years, and have always used hearing protection. My father insisted when he taught me to shoott. I still have excellent hearing. Many of my friends don't need hearing protection because they're already deaf. For the last 25 years I've used electronic protectors which allow very close to "normal" hearing with good directional capability.

"Sounds" like my story Lou! 35 years in an industrial work environment and hunting\shooting for the past 50 years, all with proper hearing protection...still have a full range of hearing sensitivity that test between 0-10db! :D

My motto has always been,"Protect What You Got"!

Ted

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! huh? what??

messing with things that go BIG bang and not wearing hearing protection is just plain STUPID.

i'd say "ignorant", but no one in their right mind is ignorant about really loud noises and their hearing. yeesh.

Between playing electric guitar for nearly 30 years, spending my youth ahooting at ducks out of trash cans burried in the ground and 10 years driving an airboat for work my ears are shot. I wear custom molded earplugs when I do anything slightly loud. Mowing the lawn, vacuuming or hunting my ears are covered. Blowing a duck call with plugs in is never as good as without but being able to hear the ducks in 30 years is more important than hearing the wind in their wings now right before I shoot.

Anyone who thinks they don't have time to plug up when big game hunting is ridiculous. Unless you are on a drive jump shooting there is no reason not to plug your ears. I keep a cheap pair of rubber plugs on a string around my neck deer hunting. Takes 5 seconds to grab them and put them in. Reason I absolutely HATE muzzle breaks is even when wearing plugs and headphones if you are even slightly even with someone shooting a break the pressure wave seems to hit me.

Between playing electric guitar for nearly 30 years, spending my youth ahooting at ducks out of trash cans burried in the ground and 10 years driving an airboat for work my ears are shot. I wear custom molded earplugs when I do anything slightly loud. Mowing the lawn, vacuuming or hunting my ears are covered. Blowing a duck call with plugs in is never as good as without but being able to hear the ducks in 30 years is more important than hearing the wind in their wings now right before I shoot.

Anyone who thinks they don't have time to plug up when big game hunting is ridiculous. Unless you are on a drive jump shooting there is no reason not to plug your ears. I keep a cheap pair of rubber plugs on a string around my neck deer hunting. Takes 5 seconds to grab them and put them in. Reason I absolutely HATE muzzle breaks is even when wearing plugs and headphones if you are even slightly even with someone shooting a break the pressure wave seems to hit me.

Do you have any idea how many shots I wouldn't have made over the years if I had to take the time to put in ear plugs before the game made it to cover or over a ridge?You must hunt in a perfect world where your game stands perfectly still while you adorn yourself with protective gear.I have two big muleys and a couple bulls on the wall that wouldn't be there if I took my eyes off them for a split second,let alone take the time to put in ear plugs.I guess Im ridiculous.gun)

it comes down to personal choice - yer ability to hear well and not develop tinnitis, or bag that game. for most of us, the answer is a no-brainer .... ymmv and teto. :cool:

Last week I killed a 6.5 foot black bear in the Wyoming mountains. It was a combination of spot and stalk during the days and then sitting 574 yards from a bait for the last few hours of the day.

I wore SoundGear electronic plugs continuously and comfortably from 10am to 9 pm for 2 eleven hour hunt days. My kill shot was made just an hour before dark on the second day.

I never had to compromise my hearing health or my hunting ability. gun)

Last week I killed a 6.5 foot black bear in the Wyoming mountains. It was a combination of spot and stalk during the days and then sitting 574 yards from a bait for the last few hours of the day.

I wore SoundGear electronic plugs continuously and comfortably from 10am to 9 pm for 2 eleven hour hunt days. My kill shot was made just an hour before dark on the second day.

I never had to compromise my hearing health or my hunting ability. gun)

AMEN, Mr.Backus. I also wear an 'in-the-ear' electronic product, and fail to understand why this argument continues. Given the cost of all the other gear we use for hunting, the modest price tag of these devices should not pose any obstacle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.