Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

Do you wear hearing protection while hunting?

• Usually do

Votes: 807 35.7%
  • Usually do not

Votes: 1,193 52.7%
  • No but I probably will in future

Votes: 263 11.6%

• Total voters
After our elk hunt of 2012 both my Dad and my hunting partner stated that the best piece of equipment they owned was their electronic hearing protection. So, in January at the SHOT Show I bought custom digital hearing protection from EAR Inc. I now wear it whether bird or big game hunting and very much appreciate it.

I had worn eletronic muffs with some bird hunting before, and tried to use foam earplugs with occasional big game hunts. The new protection eliminates those and works far better.

I've tried several of the inexpensive versions of electronic muffs/plugs with horrible experience. My beef centers around sound quality.

GOOD -- I bought one of the well under $200 units. You'd recognize the brand. It was junk. Gave it away to a LRH member.

It did not bock blast well at all. And it was one of the exterior style, designed to wear behind the ear. It would dislodge and then not seal the ear canal.

Worthless! No that's wrong. It was WORSE than worthless since it gave you a false sense of protection.

Sound quality on the Soundgear is excellent.

I've always worn hearing protection when shooting other than long barrel 22 LRs or suppressed firearms. I'm 68 and my hearing is still fine. If you want to hear sounds around you while hunting stereo electronic muffs which clamp noise peaks work great and retain a good sense of sound direction.

When I sight in, yes, always. When I'm hunting, no. I do carry ear plugs but I need to hear and watch so, no I don't and don't plan to.

If I lost my hearing at my age, probably better. Lots of things I don't want to hear anyway.

I got Tinnitus when I was only 28 (shooting A LOT as a youth w/ out protection) Doctor said I would be wearing hearing aids by 40 if something didn't change. I always wear muffs at the range and now I hunt with the ear plugs that are attached to the plastic collar that you wear around your neck (construction guys wear them). Super fast to put in your ears before the shot.

Ever since I ported my 300WM, I have to put the plugs in or I get ringing with the first shot. before that though, I didn't bother.

did the deed today and bought myself a christmas present a set of SOUNDGEAR ear protection for sport and work,good hearing never comes back lightbulb

At the range I would always wear double protection because of the the tin roof. When hunting I would bring the orange foam plugs or the rubber one's with the string. Sometimes you don't have time to put them in so having a set of plug's that you talked about would be great.
The 2012 season we came across a buck that my long time friend and happen to be standing right next to each other. We both had breaks on our rifles, not good with out ear plugs.
Look forward having protection and the ability to hear.

I am one who is surprised that my hearing is still ok. Way too much shooting as a youth with my brothers, reloaded our own shot gun shells. We shot A LOT of skeet. Never any hearing protection. I always make my kids wear protection now. And worry it wouldn't take much to damage my, little bit older, ears. Packing protection in the field can be a pain, sounds like its time to check out some of the electronic, leave in devices. Hearing aids aren't cheap!

Lets post in an adult manner. Len has better things to do than babysit immature posters...... It's the holidays after all.lightbulb

When I was growing up people would laugh at you for using hearing protection. Now protecting what's left of my hearing is more important than any trophy. Seeing my deaf grandmother troubles was enough for me too realize the importance of your hearing.

funny you mention the early years of shooting,the guys laughed at me with my paper towel hanging out of my of my ears with my hat pulled down tight to keep it in place,or cutting a qtip in 1/2 with booth ends sticking out, two mitts and a coat hanger didn't work very well ether.the muffs of the 70s & 80s were the most uncomfortable plastic,bulky thing I've ever worn,next to wearing my hardhat with the muffs attached,good thing is I wore something and still have most of my hearing

I always have atleast a set of foam plugs in my pocket. But BG hunting is what it is, you don't always have a chance to put them in and wearing them while stalking you may as well sit in the truck with it running and the windows up. If I've done my part right though I usually have time to put them in before I shoot. the rest of the time spent shooting weather it at the range or Pdog town, yep their in.gun)

But dang those things are spendy!!

Whadya ya say? What?!

At the ripe old age of 31 I have hearing on par with most 70yr olds .... I live with tinnitus every day of my life. Ear pro, no matter how inconvenient, is a must.

Soundgear keeps looking better & better.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.