Do You Shoot Rifle Competition?

• YES

Votes: 661 35.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1,226 65.0%

• Total voters
I try to shoot 3 or more tactical matches a year, I think these matches really help with rapid range changes, odd shooting positions and stress while shooting.

I try to shoot 3 or more tactical matches a year, I think these matches really help with rapid range changes, odd shooting positions and stress while shooting.

Sounds Like a reasonable amount of shooting under pressure. Rifle or Pistol?

I am switching over to Long Range Rifle, from Tournament Archery after 55 years. I am picking up a new Savage model 111 LRH 7mm Rem Mag on Jan 6th. The rifle comes with a cheek rest and a Muzzel Brake for under $800.00.
I already have a new long distance scope and other accessories to start.

Joining a rifle club range South East of Bend Oregon which has several diferent style of ranges from shot gun to Cowboy pistol.

Good Luck and put them in the middle.

Interesting poll and intreresting question, a question that can be construed many ways.

I do. 100 yard centerfire benchrest competition.

We have limited distance here so we reduced the size of the target in respect to the distance. Our targets are 1.5" in diameter scored in 10 rings, 10 targets to a sheet. You shoot each target with one round and progress to the next target on the sheet for a total of 10. We allow a cooling down period between shots. Any caliber so long as it's centerfire.

We score on 100 shots. Last place buys the beer......

It's a lot harder than it outwardly appears to be. A 1.5" diameter 10 ringed target at 100 yards is very intimidating.

All in fun though.

I'd shoot at Camp Perry which isn't very far from here, but I've never had the hankering.

I would have to say that competitive shooting, regardless of weapon, as long as it is conducted upon agreed rules. With safety of competitors taken into
consideration would be a worth while endevor. I have many years of archery
competition behind me. Including NAA, NFAA, WFAA, Several years at the indoor Shoot at Vegas.

Last Friday I picked up my FIRST Long distance rifle. It's a Savage model 111 long distance Hunter in 7mm REM MAG Calibre. Has an ajustable cheek rest,
adj muzzel brake and adj accutrigger. I spent friday, sat & Sundsy reading
the shall and the shall nots on this piece. Along with attaching a 10-40-50
Baraska scope and getting it bore sighted, I did manage to get my 15 Break in
clean shots in. What a sweet shooting rifle.

As soon as I can get my break-in regimine completed and my 0
sight-in. I will begin to do the practice, practice , practice regimine nessary for Competitive rifle tournaments, I hope to shoot in this spring and summer.

1Hunter

Nice long gun. I have one in .338. Can't beat the price versus accuracy. Enjoy it.

Not sure about your optic choice. Not familiar with that brand, not that there aren't literally hundreds of brands available.....

Been cleaning mine after every shot. Will continue for the first 50.

sidecarflip

The scope is a Barska 10-40x50mm. with an IR mil dot.
I have a buddie shooting one on a .284 win.
He is a picky guy and if it is'nt good. It don't stay.
Say's it hold's 0 imaculately well.

I have a lot of break-in left. so it will be a while before
I get to that point.

sidecarflip

The scope is a Barska 10-40x50mm. with an IR mil dot.
I have a buddie shooting one on a .284 win.
He is a picky guy and if it is'nt good. It don't stay.
Say's it hold's 0 imaculately well.

I have a lot of break-in left. so it will be a while before
I get to that point.

Near as I can ascertain, Savage Arms requires no 'break in' or at least don't refer to any in their literature or on their website.

I'm figuring 50 rounds with a cleaning between each round. That will take a while (for me). It's not a 'plinker', at least from the cost per round aspect.

The 111LRH (.338) comes factory with a 20 MOA cant Picatinny rail, interestingly, Savage makes no mention of that either on their website nor in their literature. I found out with a call to Savage. Like the muzzle brake being fixed instead of adjustable, no reference anywhere.......

I'm threatening to shoot the benchrest 100 yard league with it this summer. The target size and the projectile size should work well together. Of course other league shooters don't think so....:D, but then there is no caliber limit so anything goes.

At some juncture in the future, I'll switch from factory loaded to hand loaded. I asked 'santa' for a die set but nothing came down the chimmney except the usual socks and underwear......:)

I've been using the rifle with a donor scope mounted (from my other benchrest rifle, a Leupy 6.5-20x50 AO Target that works but the AO is a PITA. I have ordered a Vortex PFT FFP 4.5-14x50 SF Mil after much trepidation.

The optic jungle is fraught with so many different choices, I have to go on others recommendations.

I would have ordered a Leupy Mark4 Tactical but the Vortex appears just as capable, so we'll give it a try.

I guess I can always sell it (on here, flea-bay or Craigslist) if it don't pan out and get a Leupy, which I'm comfortable with as all my rifles and pistols have Leupy's mounted now.

I have a few Savages that I have acquired over the past few years. I did a simple 20 shot break in 1-10 shoot and clean. Two, 5 shots and clean. It worked out fine in my rifles. They shoot and clean up well.

I have a few Savages that I have acquired over the past few years. I did a simple 20 shot break in 1-10 shoot and clean. Two, 5 shots and clean. It worked out fine in my rifles. They shoot and clean up well.

I like that term.... acquired.....

That's what I tell my wife. They get acquired. She acquires as well, other things....:)

Savage's web site has a three picture display of their current 111 offerings.
I was finally able to decipher that the RH 338 was the one with the picatinny
rail. Sure enough, my LRH 111 7mm came without any scope mounts. Oh well.

GOOD LUCK.

I can understand a bit of confusion on Savage's part concerning their website. The have many.many offerings and it's hard to manage a site, I know, I own (lease) 2 .com sites myself (you own nothing in the cyber world, you lease the .com site.....:D).

I cleared up my confusion (which I attribute to my age.....lol) by calling Savage and in that respect, they are very helpful and courteous, something that's a rarity today.....

I shoot a AR-15 Match rifle and a M-1A super match in high power matches, A 6X284 in 600 yds mid-range match and a 300WM in 1000 yd any/any matches. The 300 WM is set up for globe sights and scope. (Camp Perry)
Rhino55gun)

Rhino55,

I am just getting set up to shoot competition. I joined s club first of this month
need to get our finalized calendar of events. First of February. I am not up on all the classes of competition.

Getting rifle broke in should be shooting groups for score soon, hoprfully.
At the moment you can probably help me more than I can do for you.

Good Luck and keep them in the middle.