Do I need more freebore?

From reading others posts here, it seems it is optimum to have the bearing surface of the bullet out of the case powder column. But I don't know why this is advantageous, other than gaining powder capacity. I was wondering if moving the bullet out decreases peak pressure or some other beneficial factor.
You are shooting half inch groups at a pretty high velocity why give a flying flip what internet experts say you HAVE TO HAVE OR SHOULD HAVE. You do you and I firmly believe 95% of hunters would give a left one to be shooting half inch groups at that velocity.

MOAorbust, I shoot several cases with freebores intentionally designed that seat bullets like you have in the picture, and all of these barrels shoot tiny groups. One of the main issues in having the bullet down in the case is that it can take up room that could otherwise be used for powder. Many have found that very slight compaction of the powder is often an aid in keeping the Extreme Spread down in velocity variations. Others have found that seating the bullet right on top of the powder is magic when it comes to accuracy. These advanced reloaders keep their mouth shut on the internet.

For the ultimate in-target shooting, having the intersection of the boat tail and bullet shank be about .020 above the shoulder/neck intersection of the case is desired. As you can imagine, designing cartridges like this often leads to using a rifle as a single shot, not desirable for most. Also, Designing cartridges like this often leads to Magazine OAL issues.

I found it rare to have doughnuts in cases where the parent cases were NOT necked up or down in a forming process, but as a matter of habit, I monitor my cases for doughnuts as I described in my previous post.

So if the reamer was set up for this bullet to be .060" from the junction...

What type of COAL are we talking about?.... 4.00" +

Is this going to be used in a mag fed gun, or is it a single shot?

What type of COAL are we talking about?.... 4.00" +

Is this going to be used in a mag fed gun, or is it a single shot?
^^^This!^^^

Below is my .338 Thor touching the lands.
.338 Thor with 300 Berger 3.7 COAL1.jpg
.338 Thor with 300 Berger 3.7 COAL.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate all the comments.
I am a hunter/reloader only, although OCD. 😁 Rounds must mag feed for my purposes.
To get the bearing surface of the bullet at or above the shoulder/neck junction would require 0.24" more freebore and keep my 0.020" off the lands. (Current COAL is 3.52 and needed COAL is 3.76.)
I have the extra length in magazine (Accuratemag .300RUM), but I'm not sure I would benefit from the extra work, money, and load work-up.
IMG_4189.jpeg