Do I need more freebore?

MOA or bust

IMG_4180.jpeg

Shooting HH 177gr bullets in my 28 Nosler. Good velocity and accuracy (0.5-0.6 MOA at 3120fps). But 80 thousands of the bearing surface of the bullet is below the neck/shoulder junction of the case. Does that really matter? I'm 20 off the lands with this and have lots of extra length in the magazine.
Should I consider asking my LGS to add some freebore? What would be the advantage? I'm already at the edge of pressure, so I don't need more powder in the case.

From reading others posts here, it seems it is optimum to have the bearing surface of the bullet out of the case powder column. But I don't know why this is advantageous, other than gaining powder capacity. I was wondering if moving the bullet out decreases peak pressure or some other beneficial factor.

It helps to have the bearing surface above any doughnut that may be formed at the neck shoulder junction. You have a very long way to go to achieve that. If you're happy with the way, it shoots I wouldn't bother and you may not be able to do it, unless your magazine will also accommodate it.

From reading others posts here, it seems it is optimum to have the bearing surface of the bullet out of the case powder column. But I don't know why this is advantageous, other than gaining powder capacity. I was wondering if moving the bullet out decreases peak pressure or some other beneficial factor.
You are correct, gaining powder cap.
And getting closer to the lands IF NEEDED.
And as mentioned you can only seat out to magazine max length.
Your Velocity and Accuracy, to me is Very Good. 👍

It helps to have the bearing surface above any doughnut that may be formed at the neck shoulder junction. You have a very long way to go to achieve that. If you're happy with the way, it shoots I wouldn't bother and you may not be able to do it, unless your magazine will also accommodate it.
This is what everyone says because people are lazy and do not want to keep up with doughnuts that could form.

I shoot a lot of cases that are similar to the OP's situation, where tiny groups abound. When I fire a round, I remove that case from the chamber and drop in over the next round in the loading block. If the fired case is inserted over the bullet, it should touch the top of the brass on the loaded round. If it does not touch the brass there could be a doughnut...further investigation is involved. If the necks are too tight so the neck will not go over the bullet, the brass spring back could also indicate not enough clearance for good "bullet release".

This is what everyone says because people are lazy and do not want to keep up with doughnuts that could form.

I shoot a lot of cases that are similar to the OP's situation, where tiny groups abound. When I fire a round, I remove that case from the chamber and drop in over the next round in the loading block. If the fired case is inserted over the bullet, it should touch the top of the brass on the loaded round. If it does not touch the brass there could be a doughnut...further investigation is involved. If the necks are too tight so the neck will not go over the bullet, the brass spring back could also indicate not enough clearance for good "bullet release".
I keep up with my brass very well, and I may be lazy
image.jpg
but not when it comes to my brass