Do I need more freebore?

Appreciate all the comments.
I am a hunter/reloader only, although OCD. šŸ˜ Rounds must mag feed for my purposes.
To get the bearing surface of the bullet at or above the shoulder/neck junction would require 0.24" more freebore and keep my 0.020" off the lands. (Current COAL is 3.52 and needed COAL is 3.76.)
I have the extra length in magazine (Accuratemag .300RUM), but I'm not sure I would benefit from the extra work, money, and load work-up.
View attachment 537169
If you chase the lands with your choice of bullet, you have minimal options.

Appreciate all the comments.
I am a hunter/reloader only, although OCD. šŸ˜ Rounds must mag feed for my purposes.
To get the bearing surface of the bullet at or above the shoulder/neck junction would require 0.24" more freebore and keep my 0.020" off the lands. (Current COAL is 3.52 and needed COAL is 3.76.)
I have the extra length in magazine (Accuratemag .300RUM), but I'm not sure I would benefit from the extra work, money, and load work-up.
View attachment 537169
I have a 28 that was throated for the 177's. Settled at 3130fps. Ragged one hole groups. Require a Wyatt box to bypass single feeding. I would stay right where your at.

7294CA0C-6858-46E0-9A92-0DA4E47E58EF.jpeg
HH left 162 ELDX factory length I believe.

I shoot 28 Noslers as well.

Based on my experience I would say that you need to start out with at least 0.200" of clearance in your magazine. That will allow to keep optimal jump as the lands retreat (as the barrel wears), and also allow for a little slop between the case shoulder and the magazine's case shoulder stop-rib. Otherwise, your case sliding forward upon recoil will whack the bullet tip against the front wall of the magazine.

You should also consider using 338 Lapua magazines instead of 300 RUM magazines. The 338 Lapua magazines have the case shoulder stop-rib in about the right place for 28 Nosler cases. 300 RUM cases have either no case shoulder stop-rib at all, or their stop-rib is too far forward to be effective with heavy-for-caliber projectiles. That will allow your cartridge to slam into the front wall of the magazine upon recoil, likely banging the bullet further into your case and changing the bullet's jump to the lands.

View attachment 536973
Shooting HH 177gr bullets in my 28 Nosler. Good velocity and accuracy (0.5-0.6 MOA at 3120fps). But 80 thousands of the bearing surface of the bullet is below the neck/shoulder junction of the case. Does that really matter? I'm 20 off the lands with this and have lots of extra length in the magazine.
Should I consider asking my LGS to add some freebore? What would be the advantage? I'm already at the edge of pressure, so I don't need more powder in the case.
Your worrying to much , Let Her Eat

Last edited:
Driftin, see post #1.
Dustbag, now our problem is they're discontinuing the 177 HH's because of concern for terminal stability and suggesting switch to the new 180 HHT. So we'll have to work up another load (unless you're stocked up on the 177's).
I've got some 180's tumbling in HBN right now.

If you have the time and money to get it reamed have it throated deeper. Its not mandatory, but its ideal the bullet heel stay near the neck junction for reasons stated already. The extra throat wont hurt shorter Hammer bullets as they are not sensitive to jump so your not limited to just one bullet if you do.

Carey Farmer, thanks for your thoughts on recoil-associated bullet tip deformation on the magazine. I do shoot with a suppressor which mitigates the recoil, but I will keep an eye on the bullet tips.šŸ‘

Driftin, see post #1.
Dustbag, now our problem is they're discontinuing the 177 HH's because of concern for terminal stability and suggesting switch to the new 180 HHT. So we'll have to work up another load (unless you're stocked up on the 177's).
I've got some 180's tumbling in HBN right now.
I saw that. I have a couple hundred. Built it just for hunting so won't be shot much. My rifle can run them faster being stretched but it shoots great at that speed and figured It'd b better on the brass.

I didn't stockpile any 177's because they were so easy to get, so I'm going with the 180's. And they're supposed to be "better".
Have you had any issue with terminal performance of the 177? I haven't killed anything but targets with it. Took my bow the last 2 years for elk.

Only animal I took with them was one bull elk at 200 yards. Hit high shoulder. Bullet passed through petals hit spine. Dropped but did require a second shot. Bullet worked as it should. Poor shot on my end.