Which action/barrel do i buy? need help

dangaff

Alright, i've already ordered a Bell & Carlson stock to fit a:
Remington 700 BDL, Heavy Barrel, Short Action

If i cant find the right action and barrel to get, i will just get a Remington 700 SPS varmint and change the stock.

So, what action and barrel do i buy to fit this stock - calibre of choice: 204 Ruger

Open to any suggestions

Thank you

It sounds like you have some money to spend and are not sure quite how to go about it.

First, does Remington offer a factory chambering in 204 Ruger? I assume they do as it is a pretty common/popular varmint caliber now.

Assuming they do, why not just buy an off the shelf rifle and be done with it?

If that doesn't suite your needs, another option is to scour the local pawn shops, gun dealers, online services and locate a 223 Remington for as little money as possible. Buy it, send it to a smith, and have a new barrel chambered in what your after. Then your all set. If the budget allows for it, have the action tuned up at the same time.

Then you find your stock, maybe have it pillar bedded, and your off to the races with a pretty good rig to build from. Triggers, bases, rings, optics will still need to be sorted out, but at least you got the fundamental portion out of the way.

Good luck.

Chad

Thanks mate

Well if i cant find a decent barrel & action, i will just get a Remington 700 SPS Varmint - 204 Ruger

I will be fitting her with a NXS 5.5-22x50

I have a gunsmith about 30 minutes away, i sent them a email with how much would it cost etc.

As i don't really know where to start.

Thanks

There are several custom actions with the Rem 700 inletting that you could start with. A barrel in a sendero or rem varmint contour is available from several makers. Bottom metal (trigger guard - floor plate/magazine) is also available from several manufacturers.

It all depends on your budget, but a stiller action is roughly a grand, a barrel blank 350, trigger 200, bottom metal 500 - 700, rings/bases another 50 - 250. Chambering/barrel fitting and bedding would be another 500-1000 depending on the smith. Or you could go with a 700 sps varmint in 204 and have it bedded into your new stock. A 700 VSSFII in 204 would also fit, but is a more expensive option.

DEFIANCE MACHINE is a sponsor here and builds a vastly improved 700 style action.
Barrels, there are a lot of great ones, Broughton, Hart, Bartlein, Kreiger and the list goes
on.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.