I need some help

BigMedicine

My buddy got a cotton swab stuck in a old 22 colt revolver. I believe he may have used a .25 cal swab. He managed to push it straight into the cylinder, and when he went to pull it out it got stuck. Now here is where it gets bad, in his futile attempt to get it out he pull the cleaning rod right off the threads of the swab. Does anyone here have any idea how to remedy this? They tried various things to try and grab the swab, they even tried to thread a .17 cal cleaning rod onto the stripped threaded portion of the swab with no luck. The only thing I can think of is to try and burn the fibers of the swab somehow. I am supposed to be buying this gun back from him since I was the previous owner, the gun is in beautiful condition for being 65 years old. And I would hate to buy it back only to have it as a rather expensive paperweight. Has anyone ever had this type issue, or know of anyone that has? Any and all suggestions are welcome, and I thank you in advance.

Take the cylinder out use a bench block (Plastic) Then use a plastic or wood rod
And tap it out. Try to go the same direction that the fibers are bent! Not trying to reverse them..An arbor press would be perfect if you have access to one.

Opening the cylinder is not possible due to the swab threaded end is in the barrel and the tip of the swab is bottomed out against the frame of the gun.

I got a pull through Otis style patch stuck in a barrel once. I had to pour oil down the barrel to thoroughly soak the patch for a few days before I could get it out. Give that a try.

What is the shaft of the swab made of? If a single edge razor blade would fit in the cylinder gap maybe you could cut through the swab shaft.

Most likely a twisted brass or steel center in it? I wouldn't get it too hot it may warp or discolor? Is the gap wide enough to cut it with something? High teck machining can do some amazing stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.