Do I change to 7mm Rem Mag?

Scrumbag

Hello folks,

I currently shoot with a 7x64 and it is a very versatile hunting and target chambering.

However, factory ammo is very hard to come by and target ammo is virtually non-existent.

7mm Rem Mag seems to offer a bit more performance and has a lot of ammunition available for it.

What are your thoughts folks?

Any experience of shooting 7x64/.280Rem vs 7mm Rem Mag?

Let me know your thoughts folks,

Scrummy

Hello folks,

I currently shoot with a 7x64 and it is a very versatile hunting and target chambering.

However, factory ammo is very hard to come by and target ammo is virtually non-existent.

7mm Rem Mag seems to offer a bit more performance and has a lot of ammunition available for it.

What are your thoughts folks?

Any experience of shooting 7x64/.280Rem vs 7mm Rem Mag?

Let me know your thoughts folks,

Scrummy

You might have answered your own question. You know the ammo situation where you at better than we do. Cheers!

The .280 Rem is an exceptional round, however, If components/ammo is easier to find for the 7mmRemMag, then go for it. It is also a phenomenal round, and I don't think you will regret your choice.

The 7mmRM will produce more recoil, but it is very well-manageable, and not overbearing. Put a Limbsaver Decel recoil pad on your rifle, or a good muzzle brake and you will barely notice the difference. I had 2 Browning A-Bolt II rifles in 7mmRM with their BOSS muzzle brakes on them, and with hot loads, they only kicked about like a .308 Win.

Given the choice between the 280Rem and the 7mag, they are both good options and you don't go wrong with either one. Just need to match their capabilities with your needs.

If you intend to shooting the rifle a lot, the 280 will have longer barrel life. The 280 will shoot the 168grain class bullets very well.

If you intend to shoot big bullets like the 180grain or 195grain Bergers go with the 7mag.

My typical formula for determining cartridge choice is:

1. determine intended use
2. determine bullet that will get it done
3. choose cartridge that will get chosen bullet moving at velocity required to engage (or kill) intended target at intended range.

Given the choice between the 280Rem and the 7mag, they are both good options and you don't go wrong with either one. Just need to match their capabilities with your needs.

If you intend to shooting the rifle a lot, the 280 will have longer barrel life. The 280 will shoot the 168grain class bullets very well.

If you intend to shoot big bullets like the 180grain or 195grain Bergers go with the 7mag.

My typical formula for determining cartridge choice is:

1. determine intended use
2. determine bullet that will get it done
3. choose cartridge that will get chosen bullet moving at velocity required to engage (or kill) intended target at intended range.

I shoot Berger 168 VLD's out of my 7mm RemMags...They are moving, too (~3,100 fps MV). Hits like the hammer of Thor on whitetails. :D

You are correct in that the 7mmRM will have a slightly shorter barrel life. Maybe a few hundred rounds difference, but when you're talking 1,200+ rounds, then what's a few hundred plus or minus... As long as you take care of the throat and barrel and don't let it get too hot, then it should last for a very long time.

Question is do you want to shoot 2900-3000-3100 fps !! That's about the difference between the 3 for the most part.. I hardly think an animals chest cavity would notice the difference with a tax or partition !!

I've shot 7 RM a LOT. Also shoot 300 Mag and 300 WSM. All in about the same weight rifles given a pound or so. All with no break.

For a mountain elk/sheep rifle in that weight. I would just step down to a SAAMI spec 280 AI. Brass seems to have good availability from Nosler.

I've shot 7 RM a LOT. Also shoot 300 Mag and 300 WSM. All in about the same weight rifles given a pound or so. All with no break.

For a mountain elk/sheep rifle in that weight. I would just step down to a SAAMI spec 280 AI. Brass seems to have good availability from Nosler.

Sadly I don't have the time, knowledge or skill with which to reload

Sadly I don't have the time, knowledge or skill with which to reload

Are you unable to order ammo online?

Reloading basics are easy, when you start shooting competition is when reloading is super critical. Reloading for hunting purposes consumes very little time.

Nothing wrong w/ the 7mag nor the 280. Have you considered rebarrel to 30-06? You have everything but the barrel. 06 ammo is plentiful.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.