7mm rem mag to 300 norma mag

300 whby

Hi guys, I have a savage 110 in 7mm rem mag in A Mcmillan stock with an 8-32x56 NXS that shoots out to 1000 mts, it's a great shooter but I'd like to try one of the super 30 mags, I have a 300 whby which is my hunting rifle (accumark barrel NIGHTFORCE 5.5-22X56 nxs.)reasonably light to carry & I don't want to mess with that.I think the savage action is long enough,it's currently in a Mcmillan stock with a 26" match grade barrel in it. But I figure if the 300 Norma works I'd maybe leave it & learn how to change the savage barrel, or get another rifle (never can have to many hunting rifles) I'd be running at least 26" with a muzzle break..
I'd be interested in any opinions about what i propose..

Do it! It would be an improvement but seems like the you wouldnt see eye watering improvements over the 300wby you already have. Also Have you considered really stepping up to something like a 375cheytac or the like? Expense would go up a lot but it would truly be another level of performance. Check out swamplords 338 with the hornady 285 thread, looks to be a winner as well.

I think the 300norma is awesome but I dont think it is really new territory. It does seem to be in a sweet spot between the big 338s and the 300wm. Big 338 drift numbers with 300wm like recoil.

Thanks for the comment.
After thinking about it I'm definitely going to build a 300 Norma, but I will look to build it on another action. I like the Savage action because of it's length, can't afford a custom action & I have a spare Mcmillan stock inletted for the long Savage action plus a couple of 30 moa rails, Rifle basics trigger, spare bolt heads & extractors.
I think the 300 Norma might be a little cheaper to run compared with any of the big 338's but I could be wrong there.

Regards
Bill Mac..

I agree with KY..you really aren't going to again anything..they all shoot the same bullet and it's only a 100 fps difference if that...take a leap on the wild side , something in .338 or .375, now you have at least the bullet weight difference...big bangers..either way check the brass availability before you leap..no use driving yourself nuts !

Thanks for the imput gents, you've convinced me to go larger, I also was looking at a Sambar stag yesterday & thru the scope at 600 mts I thought the 300 Whby is not quite enough gun, I've shot red deer stags out to 600+mts & dropped them DRT..I can shoot about an 8" group with the whby at that range,so I'm pretty sure I could put a shot into the boiler room but whether it had enough HP to anchor him right there, I'm not so sure.
I've shot them at 400 to 500mts & pretty well anchored them but 600.???
I've seen sambar stags carry poor shots from a 338 & run a mile..
Looks like a 338 edge or there abouts....

Can you swap a Lapua bolt face on to a standard magnum savage action?

I'm drinking the 300 NM Kool aid but agree there isn't much difference in performance from a 300 roy.

I think so, Savage make a 338 lapua so I'm thinking its possible, however I also heard that Savage does extra hardening on their 338 action's.. So I'l just go ahead & buy one of their rifles & fit my stock, trigger& rail to it..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.