Cutting down 26” 7mm Rem Mag to “23. Should I do it?

270winmuley

I have a Browning X Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag stainless stalker I bought last year, that I developed 2 good loads with a 160 Accubond and 160 Partition for. The gun shoots great and I hunted with it successfully last fall and used it a few weeks ago on a black bear as well. My only problem with it is that it has a 26" barrel that to me, coming from shooting 22" barreled rifles in other standard calibers, seems absurdly long and cumbersome in the field. It snags walking through brush and I hit it on a lot of overhead branches, especially if it's mounted upright on my pack. I notice it every time the rifle is in my hand and it really bothers me. It also makes the gun front heavy which seems to me like I can't hold it as steady for off-hand shots.

My question is has anyone else cut down their 7 Mag any other magnum caliber rifle to 23-24" and regretted doing it or has it been successful? I know I could lose 60-100 FPS, which isn't really too much of a concern as I'm pushing my handloads around 3100+ FPS at 26". My biggest concern is potentially losing accuracy from having it cut down and the crown not being cut correctly or the gun just won't tune like it should. What should I do?

cut it

* lol people acting like 23" is 16". If accuracy is acceptable and velocity is adequate go for it. I have had a 16" creed, 21" 300prc, 22" 3006s and 24" 7, 300 and 6.5prc. From my experience using them I'm a big fan of that 20-22" range if you ever walk in woods. Don't see 23" being much different.

Last edited:
If you have a great shooting load at 26" length, you can sure change the harmonics by cutting the barrel, I have seen it twice on my rifles. I cut one 300 WM down to 19" for use as a truck gun, jeez that gun was loud!

Look at how tuners change harmonics on a barrel by shortening and lengthening the barrel by only a few thousandths.

Another issue, the cost involved to remove the barrel, cut, and crown. Probably $150 or more.

Concussion of the short barrel 7 Rem mag will be MUCH greater unless you are already deaf.

you can sure change the harmonics by cutting the barrel

Yes you can. Factory barrels are usually not known for either superb accuracy or consistency as they are manufactured for a price point, but their original length will provide different data than any other lengths when cut down. Please don't try to tell me your bragging stories about the accuracy of your factory barrels, we don't need these in this thread.

On the other hand, many longer factory barrels are cut down for the same reasons you state, for the folks who carry slung pointed straight up. I learned to adapt to woods hunting in the UP of Michigan, thick. I don't carry slung pointed up anymore.

Shorter barrels are all the rage right now because so many want to be able to use suppressors and the shorter barrels make these more conducive lengthwise.

Cut your barrel down, just be aware that your original load might need some adjustment. The muzzle noise will be louder.

Enjoy!

:)

Opinions vary....
I think that you buy a magnum for the performance, cut the barrel down that much and a lot of that performance is lost. It's easy to prove and has been done numerous times. It is definitely in vogue to chop the barrels down these days so a lot of guys do it. Does a couple inches of barrel length really cause guys that much trouble hunting? I liken it to buying a high-performance car with a V8 and then unplugging a couple spark plug wireso_O
To each - his own.

Taking 3" off the existing 26 will more than likely result in speeds 75 fps less.

If...75 fps is a game changer for one then I guess it's something to consider. I've had Big 7's at 23" and they were all out killers!

If you want it shorter cut it down. If it changes drastically and you don't like it rebarrel it with custom.
I cut down a 30-06 for a moose hunt.
I knew all the shots would be very close and I already had an extra barrel I was going to change too. I randomly chopped it to 17-18 inches. Tuned out it actually improved (factory barrel accuracy) I loved the shorter barrel for some types of hunting. I

I would just hate to cut a known good shooting barrel. Over time I have leaned towards barrels getting longer instead of shorter.
years ago I had a awesome shooting pre 64 model 70 30-06 that my ex wife got mud plugged in the barrel and shot. Had to have 4" cut and recrowned, it still shot pretty good 😊

It really depends on how much you love your Browning. Selling it and getting a 24" 7mm RM is pretty easy. If you're set up 23" I'd probably just cut it. If it's an exceptionally accurate I'd leave it alone and get another rifle. Set the Browning up for longer ranges and the new rifle as your general purpose, easy rifle to carry.

Recent Posts