Cutting down 26” 7mm Rem Mag to “23. Should I do it?

I have ruined two good shooting barrels by cutting them down, you change the harmonics. Accuracy requirements should be taken into count. If you are going to use the gun for 200-yard and under shots, this would be a major consideration, but a 450-yard gun would have more demands on accuracy.

To add to the problem, many people do not reload where loads could be adjusted to a new frequency the barrel likes to resonate at. Others do not have the time or inclination to get into the details of tuning loads. New Tune load may not be found when barrels have been cut, and there is also a chance that the barrel may be more accurate...it is helter-skelter.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

My biggest concern is potentially losing accuracy from having it cut down and the crown not being cut correctly or the gun just won't tune like it should. What should I do?
What is your intended range and your load? How well does it shoot? Barrel harmonics can change when you cut so there isn't a way to predict how each barrel will react. Some shoot worse, others don't care, some might shoot better. I'd say before you do anything find a smith that would do a barrel swap and check the price. Check the price on cutting the barrel locally with a good smith. Cutting a barrel and crowning shouldn't be hard for a good smith. In the end it's your rifle. You do what works best for you.

Thanks for the response. I really love the rifle but it is now my dedicated mountain rifle for mule deer, elk and bears so I want to make it as handy as I can for a magnum long action gun without making it impractical or stupid loud (refuse to shoot a muzzle break for this reason) and losing too much performance. I'm not a long range hunter and I try to keep shots within 450 and preferably 300 and in. Have gone further but it's not for me. I think I have decided that if I cut it I will go to 24" as that seems to be the sweet spot. A local smith said he would do it for $75 and I guess if I can't get a load re tuned for it and can't get it to shoot, I'll cut my losses and re barrel with a true 24" and have a hard lesson learned.

I doubt it happens, my bets are it either shoots fine or just needs a new load developed. Idk why everyone is acting like 23" is the same as 16"

I think you will be happy. A rifle you enjoy to carry is a big deal. Balance/size/convenience just generally everything fitment to the individuals preferences is underrated in importance imo

Your rifle, ...cut it to any legal length, you desire. Most of my hunting rifles are 24" except the 300 Rum 26" and the 350 mag 20". Long barrels are eaiser on your ears when hunting and keep the blast away from your face, and have slightly better range capabilities with more velocity and energy applied to the animal at the same distance.

I would cut it and thread it. Put a suppressor on it and carry it differently. My 7RM with a 24" barrel and muzzle brake is obnoxiously loud. Even without the brake it is loud as heck and would not consider shooting without ear pro. You can adjust for lost speed, but it's tough to overcome concussion while hunting.

I would cut it and thread it. Put a suppressor on it and carry it differently. My 7RM with a 24" barrel and muzzle brake is obnoxiously loud. Even without the brake it is loud as heck and would not consider shooting without ear pro. You can adjust for lost speed, but it's tough to overcome concussion while hunting.
lol 😂 last year I shot a buck with my 7mag that has a brake and the end of the barrel was next to the wall of my stand, I heard chirping birds for the next 4 days 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the response. I really love the rifle but it is now my dedicated mountain rifle for mule deer, elk and bears so I want to make it as handy as I can for a magnum long action gun without making it impractical or stupid loud (refuse to shoot a muzzle break for this reason) and losing too much performance. I'm not a long range hunter and I try to keep shots within 450 and preferably 300 and in. Have gone further but it's not for me. I think I have decided that if I cut it I will go to 24" as that seems to be the sweet spot. A local smith said he would do it for $75 and I guess if I can't get a load re tuned for it and can't get it to shoot, I'll cut my losses and re barrel with a true 24" and have a hard lesson learned.
I think it shouldn't be a problem for it to shoot well enough for 300-450 yard shots. If you shorten the barrel test it out to 450-500 yards and you'll have an idea of what it can do.