Cutting down a proof carbon?

A barrel is 'cut' to shorten. It's 'turned' to affect diameter. Proof finishes their own barrels, so I don't see how they could be altered locally.

I would think it would be a little hard to make a tensioned barrel when the blank that is wrapped is monolithic. If the muzzle end was screwed on then I can see it but Proof barrels aren't. I guess if you stretched the barrel somehow, wrapped it, and then let it go you could put it under tension but it would distort the bore and most likely cause hell with the accuracy.

HCA specifically states somewhere on their site that they do their wrap differently, so that it can be cut to your chosen length. I would think that based on the fact he states he does it differently so that this is possible, his biggest and most widely known competitor wraps it in a fashion that prevents you from cutting down.

But I'm just some guy on the internet (along with every other person responding here) so why don't you just call this number on monday and get your no BS answer:

(406) 756-9290
Proof Research

65284...from 26" to 22"...carbon resealed and barrel rethreaded...
20231008_092929.jpg
Went from 1/2moa to this at 400yds....

Recent Posts