Proof carbon barrel?

zr600

Does anybody on here shoot any carbon barrels? I'm thinking about going to a proof carbon barrel, for my calling rifle. I would like a thicker barrel but don't want the weight. I run a surpressor so that's kind of why I want the bigger contour but I don't want a super heavy gun. How are they for heating up and cooling down? Does the carbon insulate the barrel making it harder to cool, or does the carbon help suck the heat out of the barrel? Does the barrel heat up faster? Any advice would be great.

Does anybody on here shoot any carbon barrels? I'm thinking about going to a proof carbon barrel, for my calling rifle. I would like a thicker barrel but don't want the weight. I run a surpressor so that's kind of why I want the bigger contour but I don't want a super heavy gun. How are they for heating up and cooling down? Does the carbon insulate the barrel making it harder to cool, or does the carbon help suck the heat out of the barrel? Does the barrel heat up faster? Any advice would be great.
It's a hunting rifle. I wouldn't worry about the thermodynamics of an all steel vs a carbon barrel. You're not going to be shooting a massive amount of strings like you would in a competition. Are you running a bolt gun or AR platform? What caliber will you be shooting as well?

It's going to be a bolt rifle. Going between 22-243ai, 22creedmoor, or 6sst.

I currently run 3 proof barrels and they are great. They are a lot lighter than steel but I would say from my experience that they can heat up faster in the daylight than maybe normal. That's my take. I would run proof on everything.

26" is what I running currently so I was going to go the same.

Honestly from my experience and observations you can't go wrong with either.

I've built two rifles 300 PRC & a 6.5 PRC with Hells Canyon Armoury barrels and both have shot 1 hole groups.

my gunsmith has used two Proof Research barrels for himself and same thing extremely accurate.
Only benefit to the HCA barrel is you can cut to desired length where with the PR barrel you get the pre determined length.

up in my parts of Canada the proof is a little cheaper to buy.

Last edited:
I have 6 soon to be 8 rifles w/ carbon barrels. All shoot very well. I would like to try one the new paradigm carbon barrels, they have rock creek liners I believe. Their light cobtour 0.700" muzzle @ 26" is 2.2#. Patriot Valley has tested them to half moa after 50 shot strings. Idk I love techy ****, and carbon barrels are just that. They're spendy tho.

If you want a Carbon get one. I've shot enough of them to know they shoot fine.
Answer to the other part of your question depends on who you ask.

Carbon barrels are about weight savings and looks You pay twice as much for them as a steel barrel. So if those two factors are worth the extra price for you get one.

I have proof and carbon six both have been very accurate, can't say one is better than the other. One thing I recommend if you go carbon is chose a cartridge that has a longer barrel life to get more bangs for your buck, that's what I do.

My 6.5 saum is a proof barrel. It shoots well, but I don't think carbon is worth it for me. My POI shift with the can is over 4 moa. Same can on steel barrels in hunting profile is less that 1 moa. Like I said, shoots really well, but so do my steel barrels. I won't do it again.

I have Proof barrels on a 6.5CM (bolt)and 300WM (AR). I find these barrels stiffer and easier to work-up a load with. Reinterpreting means that any factory load will shoot about 1moa but with my reloads I can put three rounds in the same hole. I am a big guy and weight is not really a factor for me and hunt with both these rifles. My 300 is suppressed and my CM is not. I love my proof barrels and if finances would allow that is what I would shoot on all my rifles. The fun in shooting is finding what works best for you!!!

I have a 300 win mag Christensen with a carbon fiber barrel. I like it, it shoots great and looks cool. I think it heats up fast and cools fast. I only shoot 3 rounds and a time out of any magnum and let the barrel cool for increased barrel life. Does this help( I don't know) but it makes me feel better about it. When I'm ready to rebarrel I'm going to go with a proof barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.