Do all rifle???

An interesting response. There are several reasons for having one "do it all" rifle/cartridge! Depending upon where and when you hunt, there could be game offered ranging from 125 or so pounds on the hoof to above 1000 pounds. Using your philosophy, some hunters would "carry" 3 or more rifles when in the field! Unless you have multiple gun bearers....that's not a real practical answer to the OP's question!

Also, many that come to this site are newbee's wanting to get opinions from others, that are possibly more versed on the subject! To those, we should offer a respectful answer.....even if it may not follow your philosophies! memtb
On the contrary sir I have my honest answer First. Then was reminded on how many times we've seen this thread. The recommendation in that case is to do a search for your question before you make your post.
Furthermore I don't insinuate that you can't go shoot multiple animals with one specific chambering but that there is no one rifle that is perfect across the board for everything you may shoot. My first response is still my honest answer but maybe you should see how many posts are going up per minute before you make this accusation. If I had posted this question and gotten 600 different opinions as a new Hunter I feel I would be in a worse spot than when I started.

Personally I would go 300 win mag or 280 ackley. 300 is more readily available in factory offerings if there is such a thing these days.

If your budget allows you could always do a Zermatt Bighorn SR3 and have both. Simply buy the long action and both bolt heads and two shouldered barrels with the contour of your choosing. Of course it wouldn't have to be done all at once.

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
I've dropped everything from a Turkey (head shot at 85yds, wasn't expecting to see a Turkey) to big boar hogs with my Savage 110 in 30-06. Not bad on recoil but heavy enough for big game at reasonable distance and you can buy rounds at the small town supermarket. Bought the rifle when we got married and have been shooting it since 1984. Still shoots 45 shell casings at 100 yds.

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
7 MM REM MAG, OR 300 WM.

300 WM was mine growing up 15-20 years old. Shot everything from prairie dogs to mule deer With her. a lot different now. The days where I had one shotgun, one pistol, and one rifle and shot all three very Well.
1911 Pistol? Pump Shotgun?

I'm a hot rod wild cat no replacement for displacement no substitute for cubic inches guy. BUT, I'll use this opportunity to put a plug in for the 300 prc. Bergara rifle, 24" bbl. unbelievable mild recoil, outstanding factory rifle accuracy, relatively cheap ammo. No need to load when you can buy Bullets that accurate. I'm impressed with it. And it takes a lot to impress me. I've just started experimenting with it, it's very easy to shoot. Very easy to print 1/2 moa groups at 800 yrds. If the wind cooperates, I'm gonna lay down behind it today on a 1000plus target.

On the contrary sir I have my honest answer First. Then was reminded on how many times we've seen this thread. The recommendation in that case is to do a search for your question before you make your post.
Furthermore I don't insinuate that you can't go shoot multiple animals with one specific chambering but that there is no one rifle that is perfect across the board for everything you may shoot. My first response is still my honest answer but maybe you should see how many posts are going up per minute before you make this accusation. If I had posted this question and gotten 600 different opinions as a new Hunter I feel I would be in a worse spot than when I started.
Aww - it's still fun - isn't it?

300 WinMag

.30 Caliber of 1906. If that won't kill it, I don't want to call it in close, pick a fight with it, or carry it out. Husqvarna lightweight, (issued under Tradewinds, J,C.Higgins and others) HVA action, a better trigger and a really cush trapshooter's pad. A good Leupold with sufficient eye relief. And a set of good dies.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.