Do all rifle???

I like the way the OP framed the question: "If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be?" No "winners." Just personal preferences.

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
I would get a control feed m 70 in 270 you can shoot 110 grain to 150 with a 10 twist that is factory. Have a 22 inch 24 inch 26 inch and a 28 inch... I mostly shoot Nosler 150, works very well on moose and elk. I have been loading and shooting 270's since 1953. 60% is confidence in your gun, the rest is your skill...old men been there done that...

I would get a control feed m 70 in 270 you can shoot 110 grain to 150 with a 10 twist that is factory. Have a 22 inch 24 inch 26 inch and a 28 inch... I mostly shoot Nosler 150, works very well on moose and elk. I have been loading and shooting 270's since 1953. 60% is confidence in your gun, the rest is your skill...old men been there done that...
Well Said - from another old fart. :)

If you had to choose one rifle to hunt everything from antelope to elk, what would it be? This rifle must use components that are readily available. It must also be a caliber that is inherently accurate. No need to waste 600 rounds of 1000 round barrel life doing load development. I want to build a rifle but can't decide what to build.
What shooting range are you looking for 0-600 yards are longer? I have been looking at all the replies on this and have not seen this one caliber mentioned so I was just thinking I'd ask

270 or 30-06. Ammo is readily available and on the shelf. Go try to buy some of the factory ammo or get reloading components right now. To me that would be the determining factor. I just had a 6.5 x 284 built. Plenty of cases to be found but try to find factory loads, bullets, powder primer right now. And with the new administration coming in, I see it getting worse.

I lover my 308 Winchester I have three of them. but if I could only have one I would have to pick 270 Winchester.

I'm just interested in an example of an inherently un-accurate caliber.

My suggestion for a caliber with COTS ammo is 7mm RM, and for nearly a reload only caliber is .308 Norma Mag.

HOOYYYAAAAHHHHH 😃

If I had only one caliber it would be the 30-06, with a close second the 270 win or 280 Rem. That said I just bought my grandson a 270 as he will not be able to be buying more guns for years as he is 14. My main rifle is also there on the list, my 7mm Rem mag, but if all falls apart and ammo gets more scarce,
I'll pull the 30-06 Springfield out of the safe!

270, 7mm, 308. 30-06, 300WM. Pick one and learn to like it. If I had to pick one for a variety of game and ranges, I'd go 300WM.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.