distance between hides

1tonpower

hunting around my area is tough. your in a good spot if you can see 300 yards. i have to drive 10 or 15 mins. to get to my other areas. some of the areas are plenty big, with a lot of woods surrounding small fields. i think i would be able to have one or two calling spots in a particular area but i dont want to over call any one area. the dogs are smart and will catch on quickly..

question is how far should i move before attempt to call in the same general area

Thanks.. I should be able to get two or three call sets before I have to drive to a new spot

Well.. I usually go 1/2 of a mile or so in my area but there is a lot of brush. If you are in really wide open areas, I might set up every mile. It depends on what kind of terrain you call in.

First we hide the rig real well,walk in 100yds, set up call,20 min we move.Walking in a circle for however long the property permits.Alot of places are posted, Calling softly inproves the chances of luring the yote off of posted property ,Be safe SLOANgun)

Its hard to say because there are so many variables. But one things for sure, your next stand doesnt have to be out of ear shot from your previous stand.

Many times I have seen or even heard coyotes within half mile or less and none show up. Then close the distance and call again, and here they come!

And dont be afraid to change it up a bit...

Thanks for the tips.. The section of the Power lines I am hunting has a fair sized sand pit in the middle of it, with lots of woods close by. It looks like a pack of 8 or more cross the pit at some point every night. So far have not be able to get a pic of them. The next full moon is the 9th, and I will be taking full advantage of the added light. :)

I have moved less than 300 yards to some stands. Wind plays a big role and I make my choices based on how far that call was able to reach. On windless days I sit longer and place more distance between my stands because the sound carries farther. I have found that how I approach my stand and set my self up has more effect on the coyote than calling to close together. Calling usually does not educate the coyote, missing the shot or getting busted when the coyote comes into the cal does. He now know's what awaits him every time he hears that sound. There is no text book set-up, gain as much knowledge as you can than do your best to apply it to your situation.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.