Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

From an article on Bergers website in response to a test Barnes published, "From the beginning we have promoted Berger Hunting VLD as an alternative option. Bergers do not act like Barnes or Swift or any other deep penetrating and high weight retaining bullet. A Berger Hunting VLD does not dump its energy into the ground or tree on the other side of the animal. Our bullets do not create an exit wound (exit wounds can occur depending on animal size and impact velocity) for the specific purpose of creating a blood trail so a hunter can track their wounded game."

The article continues to later say, "If you feel you need a deep penetrating, high weight retaining bullet to have the best experience then by all means please shoot Barnes or any of the many others brands that produce the same result. If you understand how the Bergers work differently and this performance appeals to you then give the Berger Hunting VLD a try."

I have a really hard time understanding why people buy Berger bullets and then come on here, and other forums, to exclaim their disappointment in the way the bullet performed on game because it didn't exit and leave a blood trail. Berger is forthright in the way their bullets perform and expecting it to pass-through isn't one of their objectives and never has been.

Last edited:
Match the shot placement of big game animal to bullet your using. At 130-150 yards shoot a deer in the neck or high shoulder not behind the shoulder with a Berger. Just years of experience with them. Please make sure to clean out the tips of the bullets before every outing to insure expansion and performance of Berger EH or Hybrid bullets

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
I could understand your disappointment, the 156 EOL is a bullet I've beeen eyeing also, but for much farther distances. The one time I hunted WT is Texas I used a 308 Win with 168 gr Ballitic Tip. About a 60 yard shot on the shoulder and got an exit. With a 30 cal on smaller bodied WT a shoulder shot is probably fine. but on a 6.5mm I think the crease is a better choice. I wouldn't hesitate to use a Partition, AccuBond, or Partition for those closer shots. Even some of the tougher Bergers would be fine like a 140 Hunting VLD. However for ease of load development and tougher design I'd go with the BT in the crease 500 yards and under. Save the Bergers for long distance hunting. YMMV.

You also used a bullet called "Extreme Outer Limits" to shoot a deer at 130 yards. Keep in mind what a bullet is designed for before you pick it for your application. I'd choose a bonded bullet like the AccuBond, or a bullet like the Partition or A-Frame if you want penetration and blood trails.

This is the exact reason I have multiple rifles shooting different types and weights of bullets. My Long range platforms don't usually get used for short range applications, but that's just the way I operate.

Guys,

What Magnum44270 said is basically this: KE=1/2MV (where V is squared). If there is an exit wound, not all of the product of this equation is transferred into the animal, i.e not all of the kinetic energy of the projectile is transferred into the animal. If there is no exit wound, all of the kinetic energy of the projectile is transferred into the animal, i.e. more internal shock and damage systemically over what shock and damage an exit wound provides. I prefer no exit wound over a blood trail.

Hicks

You also used a bullet called "Extreme Outer Limits" to shoot a deer at 130 yards. Keep in mind what a bullet is designed for before you pick it for your application. I'd choose a bonded bullet like the AccuBond, or a bullet like the Partition or A-Frame if you want penetration and blood trails.

This is the exact reason I have multiple rifles shooting different types and weights of bullets. My Long range platforms don't usually get used for short range applications, but that's just the way I operate.
Exactly, if you find yourself in this situation, aim for bone.

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
124 Hammer Hunter

From an article on Bergers website in response to a test Barnes published, "From the beginning we have promoted Berger Hunting VLD as an alternative option. Bergers do not act like Barnes or Swift or any other deep penetrating and high weight retaining bullet. A Berger Hunting VLD does not dump its energy into the ground or tree on the other side of the animal. Our bullets do not create an exit wound (exit wounds can occur depending on animal size and impact velocity) for the specific purpose of creating a blood trail so a hunter can track their wounded game."

The article continues to later say, "If you feel you need a deep penetrating, high weight retaining bullet to have the best experience then by all means please shoot Barnes or any of the many others brands that produce the same result. If you understand how the Bergers work differently and this performance appeals to you then give the Berger Hunting VLD a try."

I have a really hard time understanding why people buy Berger bullets and then come on here and other forums and exclaim about how they're disappointed in the way the bullet performed on game because it didn't exit and leave a blood trail. Berger is forthright in the way their bullets perform and expecting it to pass through-isn't one of their objectives and never has been.

Excellent!

Just had the same experience with Berger. I took a coyote with a 22-250 at 190 yards using the VLD Hunting 55 grain. Perfect shot on the dog, hit right behind the shoulder. Dog was quartering away so projectile should have went straight out the brisket or hit the opposite shoulder. Projectile hit and came out by guts on opposite side. Dog ran almost 300 yards, luckily we had snow or it would have never been recovered. Worst part about this, part of the jacket was found right at the impact site!! Never have I seen this before and although they shoot dimes I don't think I will be using them for hunting anymore. Should also mention load used was 38 grains of H380 and these run 3520fps out of my Rem so no where's near pushing them too fast imo.

Attachments

• ABFE20AB-05E0-48CF-A799-C551B41762C4.jpeg
    ABFE20AB-05E0-48CF-A799-C551B41762C4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • D274845B-3D78-42BC-8510-37CFF7F86A4E.jpeg
    D274845B-3D78-42BC-8510-37CFF7F86A4E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 79FF53C8-E8D7-4A78-AE45-5205DECBA922.jpeg
    79FF53C8-E8D7-4A78-AE45-5205DECBA922.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • 5201E662-E3D7-4F48-B328-0318400178AF.jpeg
    5201E662-E3D7-4F48-B328-0318400178AF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Why you ask ? As stated beyond 500 yards my confidence with bullet performance at the impact velocity of the 160 from a 284 isn't ideal. From a 28 Nosler or hand loaded 7mm mag it would shine at 600-800 yards. Just not from a 3000 fps .284 win.
I like to be informed with facts not continue to be ignorant with my ideas and beliefs. Thank you for removing some of my ignorance.

I have a really hard time understanding why people buy Berger bullets and then come on here and other forums and exclaim their disappointment in the way the bullet performed on game because it didn't exit and leave a blood trail. Berger is forthright in the way their bullets perform and expecting it to pass-through isn't one of their objectives and never has been.

+1

While most of my game has been shot with the 140 class VLD's, the handful of game I've shot with 156 EOL from 200 to 600 yards were DRT with full penetration on broadside shots. With the very high sectional density of the 156, it's hard to imagine it not giving full penetration with broadside shots on medium sized game. I run them at +2950MV. As others have eluded to, at the lower velocity described by the OP, the bullet may have destabilized upon impact.