Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

I had a similar experience with the 195eol out of a 28nos.

A good alternative we have used for years is the hornady eldx. In my experience the eldx performs best at on target velocities under 2800fps... so up close shots with my 300wm are a no-go (too explosive). But with 6.5 creedmoor we get a pass through about half the time. Recovered bullets tend to be around 40%.

I haven't used them yet, but I also like the looks of the federal terminal ascent bullet. Seems to be a good combination of high bc, medium to high bullet retention weight, but still has some fragments creating larger wound channels.
X2 on the Federal Terminal Ascent also the Federal TBT same bullet with different plastic tip both are killing machines , great expansion and pass through.

The truth is most game is shot well under 200 yards. Short range, high speed impacts and long range, softer bullets frequently don't mix well. One size seldom fits most. Selecting the right bullet to fit a range of possible scenarios doesn't have to be tough however. Nosler Partitions or Accubonds and similar bullets pretty well cover most possible situations. Enjoy the hunt.

I'm going to try the Nosler 150 LRAB

Attachments

• F7DCE394-0302-4C02-AD86-6DF902CC8ECB.jpeg
    F7DCE394-0302-4C02-AD86-6DF902CC8ECB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
That is exactly what Berger's are designed to do. I run the 130's in my PRC and have speed at 3050-3075 and at this point I'm at 7 deer and 30 hogs without more the 15 steps. Dump all their energy and stop inside the hide on the opposite side. If you are looking for a pass through with a blood trail try noslerAB or Partitions if you can find them.

I don't mean to be a Smart A, but it was an inherited trait. I've shot Antelope at 300yds with full penetration thru both lungs. they ran another 200 + yds, took 2 hrs to find them. Also took antelope at 300 yds.
with 87gr varmint bullets inflicting instant dead in their tracks results. Your Answer is somewhere in between!

You picked the wrong bullet. The bullet did what it and other non bonded or non shanked bullets are designed to do. Berger's are designed to enter 2-4 inches and then violently come apart. No exits. Their theory is to dumo all the energy into the animal and the vitals if you do your job.....look at the 142 or 150 ABLR, 140 AB or the 140 nosler partition. Any of the above will give you perfect results

Last edited:
I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
A buddy had the same experience with 142 gr. ELD-X. Blew up inside a Cow Elk. Both the Berger and ELD-X are non-bonded and have a thin jacket. The 6.5 PRC MV may be too high at short range for those. At long range I think they will perform well. The Berger Target bullets (used to be their hunting bullets) have a thicker jacket (only difference) and may be better suited to short range, high velocity.

He is switching to the Nosler 150 gr. ABLR which will be great for short to medium range shots.

I hit him right behind the shoulders and it blew both lungs up and he was full of blood inside of him. The thing that bothers me though is that I hit no bones and that bullet was moving at 2860 fps so I fully expected a good exit wound with plenty of blood to be able to track him
I've been loading for a few years and have migrated from bullets like Barnes to bullets like Berger's. Yes they dont pass thru and leave a blood trail but they usually don't go far if they don't drop in their tracks. Shot this 300 lb boar yesterday and he dropped in his tracks. Even less than perfect shots don't go far.

Attachments

• 66ED33F0-54E1-4753-B469-343C0E64453A.jpeg
    66ED33F0-54E1-4753-B469-343C0E64453A.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 90
Why? I dont use them at long range only because they don't meet my impact energy. Between several guys and probably 20+ elk before we ever saw one PT failure. Since then maybe another 20+ no failures. Accuracy and Intentional long range is only reason any of us have gone away from the PT.
Why you ask ? As stated beyond 500 yards my confidence with bullet performance at the impact velocity of the 160 from a 284 isn't ideal. From a 28 Nosler or hand loaded 7mm mag it would shine at 600-800 yards. Just not from a 3000 fps .284 win.

With my 6.5 Swede at 2920fps and 142 ABLRI have killed deer from 75yds out to 710 yrs with perfect results. Perfect expansions, vitals destroyed and pass throughs. Also bull elk at 180yds broke onside leg bone, heart/lungs and out the other side and 2 cow elk at 60yds ( rib, liver, rib and stopped in offside hide) and 310yds behind shoulder passthrough.