Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

Here is a Berger that pooped out on. Then on the other hand and same elk the next shot exploded. 👍🏻

Attachments

• E8EB9F6D-F17F-4A16-960D-6F1178EA398C.jpeg
    E8EB9F6D-F17F-4A16-960D-6F1178EA398C.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 3E2E2991-FE98-4835-BB25-DB38B8400E3E.jpeg
    3E2E2991-FE98-4835-BB25-DB38B8400E3E.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 283
Using a 7 twist 6.5x284 ,with 156 main difference 156 are leaving at 3050 fps, have no problem knocking down pronghorn, 400yds closer 200-300 animal just collapses, my buddy a big hunter says the PH are folding by the shock concussion of bullet. Curious how it would do with an elk . not so worried about bullet passing through all the time but a good kill. My experience 156 doesn't do as well slower than 2950. I was very happy using a 156, If anybody wants to sell their 156's please pm.

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
That's a long range bullet. Gunna work better between 2k-2400 fps impact velocity. For close range stuff there's much better performing bullets if you want deep penetration. Use a bonded or mono if your looking for deep penetration. If you like a bullet that will work for extended range and cut wind really well then stay with what you have. The deer died right?

Here is a Berger that pooped out on. Then on the other hand and same elk the next shot exploded. 👍🏻
That's kinda what a Berger will do. That bullet tumbled and that's ok. Looks good to me. Alot of people think a Berger is supposed to expand like a normal bullet and it's not. That's not the way it's engineered. That's why hitting bone with a Berger is not a bad idea.

I'll say this. 195 eol out of a 7 mag at 2800 fps is a beast of a combo. We got two/two pass throughs this year through shoulders leaving chunks of internals on the ground behind the deer. One was drt the other stood there for a couple seconds and collapsed.

I'll say this. 195 eol out of a 7 mag at 2800 fps is a beast of a combo. We got two/two pass throughs this year through shoulders leaving chunks of internals on the ground behind the deer. One was drt the other stood there for a couple seconds and collapsed.
Odd how bullets behave in different barrels. Seen several elk shot with the 195 eol thru the lungs, 2x, and act around like nothing happened ! And then run away.

Shot distance?

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
You are using a bullet for short range that is designed to give ideal performance beyond 600yds.

You picked the wrong tool for the job.

6.5 PRC 156 Berger . 3050 fps. 7.5 twist proof. Load shoots just under 1/2 moa. IMG_20211117_112015787_HDR.jpg
Shot this buck at 450 yds. Had to dial for 20 mph wind. Hit him just a little low center leg/shoulder.
The bullet did exit. About golf ball size hole. It completely destroyed the leg on the exit side. He did make it about 100 yds somehow before tipping over. The internal damage was insane. The most I have ever seen out of any bullet. The downside is, there was blood shot literally from his neck all the way back to the hind quarters.
I'm still on the fence about if I like this bullet. I will get a couple more kills under my belt with them to see.