Disappointed with the Berger 156 grain EOL

Partition checks all your boxes twice with a paint brush.
I was a longtime NP user before I transitioned to NAB (never warmed up to LRAB), NBTs, and eventually with Bergers esp. on LRH. NP is an excellent bullet for its intended purpose. "If" Nosler re-design it to have the LRAB's BC, it would be a pretty bad arse bullet.

I was a longtime NP user before I transitioned to NAB (never warmed up to LRAB), NBTs, and eventually with Bergers esp. on LRH. NP is an excellent bullet for its intended purpose. "If" Nosler re-design it to have the LRAB's BC, it would be a pretty bad arse bullet.
I would love to see a higher BC Partition. I doubt Nosler will ever change or even add a different anything to the PT.

I loved the BT and used it a lot for deer and elk. Until bullet failures on elk. I still use it for specific +600 hunting. Have used the AB in place of the BT since Introduced. I only use AB if PT is not accurate enough and I will shoot that rifle combo past 600 yards.

To do that though would produce such a compromise in the end It would end up probably being less suitable for either purpose.

Long range Hybrid and VLD type bullets are just such a completely different animal I don't think anyone is going to be able to give them the same properties as a bullet like the Partition that all but guarantees to penetrate the toughest of critters and still retain close to 50% of it's original mass.

I still think Hornady really blew it not using the same bonding tech of the Interbond in producing their ELD-X.

I've successfully killed with optimum bullet performance using the 160 NP on my 284s numerous times at ranges in the 500 yard range. Very impressive. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend them at the impact velocities of the 284.

To do that though would produce such a compromise in the end It would end up probably being less suitable for either purpose.

Long range Hybrid and VLD type bullets are just such a completely different animal I don't think anyone is going to be able to give them the same properties as a bullet like the Partition that all but guarantees to penetrate the toughest of critters and still retain close to 50% of it's original mass.

I still think Hornady really blew it not using the same bonding tech of the Interbond in producing their ELD-X.
That is why "I" clearly noted, "if." There is always a risk/compromise in any business strategy/decision. For instance, Hornady introduced their CX line, and we all know where that design originated. Their design team thinks it is worth the risk, and only time will tell "if" they are correct. "I" personally welcome such effort regardless of how slight the improvement is, as "I" am an open-minded person.

@Tommyjohn53 , my apologies for contributing to the sidetracking of your post. My offer should you decide to get rid of those bullets still stands.

Last edited:
I've successfully killed with optimum bullet performance using the 160 NP on my 284s numerous times at ranges in the 500 yard range. Very impressive. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend them at the impact velocities of the 284.
Why? I dont use them at long range only because they don't meet my impact energy. Between several guys and probably 20+ elk before we ever saw one PT failure. Since then maybe another 20+ no failures. Accuracy and Intentional long range is only reason any of us have gone away from the PT.

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
dead is dead

I shot a buck at 130 yards with my 6.5 PRC using Berger 156 grains EOL. I hit him right behind the shoulder. The buck ran about 50 yards with no blood. There was no exit wound. My Son and Grandsons have shot whitetail and axis with no exit wounds. Kind of disappointed with this bullet. My loads were going about 2860 fps and no exit wounds on that buck I shot. Looking for some advice as to what would be a good bullet to use that would have good exit wounds, thanks in advance
127LRX

Berger at 140gr in my 260Rem is the same. If you want pass throughs, move to a bullet with a 80%+ weight retention. If you dont care about BC and are shooting under 400m, Lapua Mega makes a 155gr bullet with very high weight retention. Swift AFrame at 140 is like 95%. Hornady Interbond/Nosler AB/Barnes TTSX all around 90%+ at the 130gr zone. All of those will have a higher BC if you are a pipeline/plains shooter.