Dirty primer pockets and sonic cleaner

Dan I tried different cleaners and home brews. Finally I got me some Brass Juice. I mix 3 oz. to one gallon of distilled water. It is stronger than the Hornady and frankford arsenal stuff. I run it one hour or you can mix it stronger.
I've read all the response to this thread and I have to say that in 40 years of reloading I have never worried about shiny clean primer pockets. As long as the flash hole is open and there aren't flakes of carbon in the pocket, I just load and go. I have never had a misfire attributed to dirty primer pockets. I have had light primer strikes on striker fired pistols even with factory ammo. Usually a second striker hit will set them off. On rifles, revolvers, and 1911 style pistols I have never had issues with my reloads. I there is flaky carbon in the pocket I simply take a small flat tip screwdriver like the ones you get with a Stihl chainsaw and spin it in the pocket between my thumb and forefinger. No problem, it only takes a couple of seconds.

This may help. I built a wire basket to go to my sonic cleaner. I clean my brass twice, once from each end down. The brass comes out spotless inside and out. The basket, that I made with stainless wire has worked very well to load and unload for decades. I also check the primer pocket and flash hole with the specific reamers every time.
Greg

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going to try cleaning the pockets first next time and maybe move on to the others if that doesn't work.

Here are two examples of the extremes in pocket cleanliness.

Attachments

• 20200902_120427.jpg
    20200902_120427.jpg
    782.7 KB · Views: 222
What he said. I used to be OCD and wanted it shiny in the pockets. I've since determined it makes no difference and just seat and go. (I deprime before cleaning and not much gunk is left but some is)
I too like the idea of just deprime then sonic clean. #1 the sizing action goes smoothly with the clean case. #2 the primer pockets are the first thing to fail on many cases so I don't want to be grinding on them with a tool!
#3 if a few are not clean enough just run them again 😉 no biggie.

This is more of an annoyance, but I'm hoping someone here has a trick I can learn.

I have a Hornady sonic cleaner and no matter how I load the cleaner, or how many rounds of cleaning I do, I still end up with several cases that have gunk in the primer pocket. For those that have such case cleaners, how do you prevent this, or deal with it other than wait for it to dry and use a primer pocket tool to clean it up afterwarrd?
Cleaning primer pockets, why? It's a waste of time and does nothing to improve accuracy in any way.

That's why we cut to a uniform depth after the first firing, and use seating tools that are adjustable. Never EVER load a primer proud to the case head.
Agree. I seat all my brass to 6-8 thou below deck. According to Hornady they try to seat ther cartridges to a minimum of 5 thou below deck.

Regarding an earlier post; I thought "Brasso" was a total "No-No" for our brass cases?? (The ammonia in it can damage the brass and make it brittle??)

Vettepilot

I put in a tablespoon or so of Lemi Shine w/ each load of brass. Typically takes 15 min or so and clean inside / out
I have found that if I use more than a 1/8 teaspoon of Lemi -shine and 1/4 teaspoon of dawn in my Lyman Wet tumbler drum my brass will turn an off-color . It is because of the composition of lemi-shine to brass mixture.
Personally I believe through trial and error that less lemi-shine yields a much cleaner looking brass hull, while too much will attack the brass finish.
However, in all fairness, you are only leaving it on your brass cases for 15 minutes while I am letting my brass tumble for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, and therein perhaps lies the difference.

I have found that if I use more than a 1/8 teaspoon of Lemi -shine and 1/4 teaspoon of dawn in my Lyman Wet tumbler drum my brass will turn an off-color . It is because of the composition of lemi-shine to brass mixture.
Personally I believe through trial and error that less lemi-shine yields a much cleaner looking brass hull, while too much will attack the brass finish.
However, in all fairness, you are only leaving it on your brass cases for 15 minutes while I am letting my brass tumble for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, and therein perhaps lies the difference.

Yes, this is my experience precisely with Lemi-Shine. Just a little works fantastic, and too much causes discoloration.

Vettepilot

Hmmm... would it matter if your annealing it?

Well, it wouldn't make just the neck and shoulder brittle. From what I read somewhere, it ruins the case period. Just what I learned somewheres; keep your brass strictly away from products containing ammonia.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.