Dirty primer pockets

Doublezranch

I am fustrated......and need some help.

Like some of you, I bought a Hornady Sonic cleaner for my brass. One of the selling points for myself was the fact that it would clean the primer pockets. I have found that this isn't the case (pardon the pun). Some pockets get "alittle" clean, but still fouled.

I have used Distilled water and the Hornady Cleaning solution per the companies request. Do any of you have any experience or any suggestions on how I can relievate this situation?

If you look at the brochure, they show a clean primer pocket and is one of the big selling points. Tried everything.

Any help would be appreciated.

I use a mixture of water and vinegar 50/50 with a couple of drops of dawn dishwasing liquid. I run mine 3 cycles of 480 seconds followed by 1 cycle of Birchwood Casey Case Cleaner followed by 1 cycle of plain water with a tablespoon of baking soda. My come out as clean as the day they were new.

As mentioned above 50/50 water & vinagur with dish soap, then warm water with backing soda, then clean rinse

I think really hot water and detergent helps a lot for cleaning primer residue. When I clean berdan primed cases, I soak them in close to boiling water & detergent (laundry detergent) for about 1/2 hour before running them in the tumbler with stainless tumbling media. Mine only have to be tumbled 1/2 an hour before they look like new (they are tumbled with detergent and lemishine).

762x39-4.jpg

seems to be to much work for me.or I am missing something.I just run the primer reamer in and its doone.then in the case cleaner to do the rest.

You have another reamer to get the powder residue out the inside of the case ? A half hour soak with 100 shells (up to 500, but I can't afford to shoot that much) at a time, followed by a half hour run in the tumbler followed by rinsing and drying is too much work ? You must be doing better than the rest of us...

no I use my primer pocket reamer to get the carbon out.few turns with my fingers or power screwdriver and its out.then in the corn cob for about 30 min.no drying time just start loading from dies to chargeing to putting the bullet in.forgot prmers.

just never liked the idea of drying the brass off before loading.thats why I choose to anneal without the water just air cool.works and one less step for me to do.

one more thing.me don't really need shinnnnnny brass to shoot with.inside or out.my way just seems to work for me.:D

I've heard of the corn cob taking 12 hours or more to clean shells. The stainless pin media cleans everything inside outside and even the flash holes. I also didn't already have a conventional (dry) tumbling setup, so I had to pick one way or the other. I generally dry the shells while watching tv, takes about 1/2 hour for a big batch. If I had a compressor it would be much quicker. All I have to buy is detergent (once a year) and Lemishine (will probably last 10 years at present rate for $17). The water washes out all the powder residue (and it is pretty black afterwards) so I don't know how often the dry media has to be changed or how it is cleaned.

Whatever works I guess...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts