Dirty primer pockets and sonic cleaner

DNADave

This is more of an annoyance, but I'm hoping someone here has a trick I can learn.

I have a Hornady sonic cleaner and no matter how I load the cleaner, or how many rounds of cleaning I do, I still end up with several cases that have gunk in the primer pocket. For those that have such case cleaners, how do you prevent this, or deal with it other than wait for it to dry and use a primer pocket tool to clean it up afterwarrd?

So, clean pockets with tool before using the sonic cleaner? Sounds better than waiting for things to dry and then cleaning with a tool.

It is interesting that some of the pockets come out spotless and others are pretty gunked up when doing the way I've been doing it: sonic clean and then clean if needed after dry.

So, clean pockets with tool before using the sonic cleaner? Sounds better than waiting for things to dry and then cleaning with a tool.

It is interesting that some of the pockets come out spotless and others are pretty gunked up when doing the way I've been doing it: sonic clean and then clean if needed after dry.
Yes. Clean the pockets with the tool prior to the sonic cleaner.

I have a smaller cleaner and found it gets overloaded quick. If I do 15 larger rifle pieces at a time, they come out brand new. I also found that standing them up on the base and locating them in the middle really helps. However, all that takes too much time. I do 50 cases at a time and then use a Q tip to quickly wipe any residue from the primer pockets. I use a water vinegar mixture so it may not be the best but its cheap.

I have the small Hornady sonic cleaner also. I clean about 50 cases at a time (223, 243, and 308) And I use the OneShot cleaner also. I have found that if I lay the cases on their side, the primer pockets are cleaner. I also run the cleaner 4 times at the 480 second time intervals. It gets the majority of the pockets clean. Then I run a brush through the ones that aren't completely clean. At least I don't have to run them all through a primer pocket cleaner.

Jason

This is more of an annoyance, but I'm hoping someone here has a trick I can learn.

I have a Hornady sonic cleaner and no matter how I load the cleaner, or how many rounds of cleaning I do, I still end up with several cases that have gunk in the primer pocket. For those that have such case cleaners, how do you prevent this, or deal with it other than wait for it to dry and use a primer pocket tool to clean it up afterwarrd?
After the sonic cleaner is finished I toss the cases in my tumbler for a bit to dry them usually after that there's not much left to clean

Dan I tried different cleaners and home brews. Finally I got me some Brass Juice. I mix 3 oz. to one gallon of distilled water. It is stronger than the Hornady and frankford arsenal stuff. I run it one hour or you can mix it stronger.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.