Dirty Barrel Accuracy:

Radman

Rather than post a poll I thought that I would just ask outright: When target shooting how many rounds do you put through your barrel before you see a change in accuracy?
I know that there are a ton of contributing factors but just ball park, any caliber.
In my experiences faster muzzle velocities seem to leave cleaner bores. For instance: While a .50 caliber muzzle loader is great for 3 shots then accuracy fades, a .22 rimfire may go 10, 20, 50 or forever with little change. A .22-250 can shoot great for 20 rounds & look shiny clean, until you actually clean it.
I guess the end result I'm seeking is: Are there certain caliber accuracy's that are affected very little by the number of rounds through a clean barrel verses certain caliber accuracie's that are more sensitive to a dirty bore? Just wondering...no wrong answers.

Well....I have a 30-06 with a krieger #4 that won't shoot its best groups until it has 20 rds down the barrel after a good cleaning. Really frustrating thing to figure out. Haven't cleaned that gun for a long time and it shoots really good! (Best 3 shot group is .25 at 200. But it's not an "all day every day" gun.

I have a couple target type rifles in 6 dasher that shoot small groups and I really have never shot them enough between cleanings to find where they would fall off. Sometimes I think it's the gun and then I'll take the dirty gun to the range and realize it was either me getting fatigued or my parallax wasnt set correctly. Figuring out that focus and parallax aren't always the same thing gets frustrating.

I've shot the heck out of hmrs and saw a loss in accuracy at a couple hundred rounds but they stayed minute of p dog for moderate distances for a long time after that.

I watched a video the other day, and Eric cortina along with Brian from applied ballistics was talking about this same topic. It honestly depends on powder you are using.

That being said, if I'm shooting IMR 3031 in my 308, every 100 rounds I clean it. My 6 dasher using IMR 4166 I just happen to clean it every 100 rounds but just do it out of habit. The 308 will open up around a 100 with the old IMR powder. The 6 dasher it doesn't open up.

I did think it was interesting on Eric's show, that they no longer do any type of break in for custom barrels. They just shoot them until it's dirty and clean them.

I watched a video the other day, and Eric cortina along with Brian from applied ballistics was talking about this same topic. It honestly depends on powder you are using.

That being said, if I'm shooting IMR 3031 in my 308, every 100 rounds I clean it. My 6 dasher using IMR 4166 I just happen to clean it every 100 rounds but just do it out of habit. The 308 will open up around a 100 with the old IMR powder. The 6 dasher it doesn't open up.

I did think it was interesting on Eric's show, that they no longer do any type of break in for custom barrels. They just shoot them until it's dirty and clean them.

I REALLY enjoyed this great "meat & potatoes" video! Thanks. I appreciate your personal reply as well...I found it extremely interesting. Like Brian alludes to I have never bought-into barrel break-in. A barrel slowly changes constantly throughout it's entire lifetime. I was talking recently with an expert in the field & as we discussed cleaning vs accuracy he brought up the fact that cleaning lengthens barrel life. (No surprise there) Anyway, thanks for your great feedback. It was exactly what I was looking for!

Have a 6 dasher with over 300 rounds down it since last cleaning. Still groups five in one hole. Using Varget. Hunting rifles get cleaned when put away so don't know on those. However I do have a Christensen ELR in 300 RUM that needs at least 7 down the barrel before it shoots bugholes. Retumbo in that one.

Dustbag, I am not sure you will get that Dasher barrel clean, I have two right now. R#15, H4895, IMR XBR 8208, Varget.....all tough to get out of the barrel. The term, "Clean Enough" comes to mind! AA2495 burns a lot cooler, will try that today checking accuracy and how easily it cleans up.

I was discussing this subject with a friend, and he had one rifle where the powder fouling in front of the throat had fire cracking in it!

Last edited:
I have trouble NOT cleaning my guns after each hunt/range session. It`s how I was raised. I`m forcing myself to leave my 110 in .223 fouled because the last couple of times at the range I noticed groups getting progressively tighter. Could be from fouling after cleaning (? ). Want to see next time at the range.

I have trouble NOT cleaning my guns after each hunt/range session. It`s how I was raised. I`m forcing myself to leave my 110 in .223 fouled because the last couple of times at the range I noticed groups getting progressively tighter. Could be from fouling after cleaning (? ). Want to see next time at the range.
Likely. Right there with you brother. I clean after every outing whether 100 rounds or 1.
I usually fire 1 fouling shot before commencing but on most of my rifles it makes little difference. (More often than not my fouling shot is dead-on. Maybe because I use a cheaper round for fouling?)