Barrel break in accuracy

RCMSTER

So, I just got my rifle back from the gunsmith where I had a new Hart barrel put on, and some work done to the receiver. Caliber is 25-06. I'm just a little disappointed in the fact that with 116 grain hammers, I can only get to 3.050 OAL before I'm into the lands, but not sure I'm concerned with that yet. First 20 rounds thru the barrel have yielded pretty mediocre results as far as accuracy, so I guess my question is this. Would it be normal for a rifle to shoot more accurately after say, a hundred rounds are put through it, or not so much. I haven't done any load work-up yet. I figure I need to get some rounds thru it before I go there, but just curious as to what you really good shooters' opinions are as to accuracy and a new barrel.

In my experiences a barrel which likes the bullet will shoot pretty accurate at the onset and increase accuracy a bit after 10-40 rounds. If your accuracy with that bullet is pretty bad, I would try different loads/bullets. This has just been my experience.
I have gotten lucky with several new rifles that liked the first handloads I fed them and they achieved .5" groups or better with the first shots after getting zeroed... so in the first 20 rounds.
What kind of mediocre accuracy are you talking?
I imagine some of the serious target shooters will come along shortly and have some input. I shoot and handload a good bit, but am not a professional target shooter.

In my experiences a barrel which likes the bullet will shoot pretty accurate at the onset and increase accuracy a bit after 10-40 rounds. If your accuracy with that bullet is pretty bad, I would try different loads/bullets. This has just been my experience.
I have gotten lucky with several new rifles that liked the first handloads I fed them and they achieved .5" groups with the first shots after getting zeroed.
What kind of mediocre accuracy are you talking?
First 18 rounds with hand loads from my Ruger no 1 have been in the 1.5-2.0" range. The rifle with the new barrel is a Winchester 70, so I wasn't really expecting great results with loads from a different rifle.

Yeah, they all have their own individual appetite.
So you shot the Ruger loads out of the newly barreled Mod 70 is what I gather?
I would expect much better accuracy ot of the Winchester once you find a load it likes.
It may not be the correct way, but with a new pea shooter I search the web forums for other shooter's pet loads for similar rifle/barrel configurations, load down a bit and go from there. Possibly saves some time, $, and headache along the way. Has worked well for me. Of course, the supply situation may limit options for many folks right now.
I am not a patient tinkerer either. If I cannot achieve .5" accuracy after trying a few loads/bullet combos the gun goes away. I like easy and repeatable.
I have had factory rifles that would not shoot, say 150 grain bullets worth a darn, but when moving to 180's they woke up.
I assume your rebarrel was with a new (custom) barrel and not a used factory barrel? If so, it should like some combinations well.

Sorry brother. Just re-read your initial post about a new Hart barrel. As long as your smith did things right (most do), you should be able to find an accurate load (3/4" or less initially) pretty quick IMO. I would peruse forums by googling you barrel make, twist, and cartridge seeking what other's guns are liking and go from there. Wouldn't hurt to call the good guys at Hammer bullets for suggestions either.
Of course you are going to get the usual responses of checking your scope/mounts, barrel channel, etc... which I assume is already a no-brainer for you since you are reloading and obviously have experience under your belt.
Good luck to ya.

Yeah, they all have their own individual appetite.
So you shot the Ruger loads out of the newly barreled Mod 70 is what I gather?
I would expect much better accuracy ot of the Winchester once you find a load it likes.
It may not be the correct way, but with a new pea shooter I search the web forums for other shooter's pet loads for similar rifle/barrel configurations, load down a bit and go from there. Possibly saves some time, $, and headache along the way. Has worked well for me. Of course, the supply situation may limit options for many folks right now.
I am not a patient tinkerer either. If I cannot achieve .5" accuracy after trying a few loads/bullet combos the gun goes away. I like easy and repeatable.
I have had factory rifles that would not shoot, say 150 grain bullets worth a darn, but when moving to 180's they woke up.
I assume your rebarrel was with a new (custom) barrel and not a used factory barrel? If so, it should like some combinations well.
When I bought this rifle new, it drove me crazy. I can't remember how many bullet/powder combinations I tried, and it just aggravated me. I let it set for a couple of months, then was ready to go again. I spent about 5 hours one day just cleaning it. I'd use Butch's Bore shine, then Montana Extreme. I alternated between the 2 for 3 cycles each, then said ok, if this dang thing won't shoot this time, I'll just rebarrel it. Well, it shot like a house afire. 3 remington core-lokts into a half inch about every time, but it wouldn't shoot 116 grain hammers worth a hoot, and that's what I wanted to shoot, so I rebarreled it with an 8 twist, as opposed to the 10 twist it had, so that's where I'm at. It'll shoot at some point. I just have to get the combo right. But I would've preferred to be able to seat the hammers a bit longer.

Don't read anything it to just yet, it may not be the powder your rifle does not care for or even the primer, some rifles are just finicky, however that does not mean they aren't capable of incredible accuracy, I've had rifles that refused to shoot anything well for the first 200 rounds or so, its been over 25 years or so since I in countered a barrel so problematic, before I give up on one particular bullet I'd try at least 4 or 5 different powders, you may even find it just does not care the 116 gr hammer, the 110 or 117 could very well shoot the lights out.

It's funny in a way that the Core-lokts were what it wanted. My wife's Rem 700 .243 absolutely loves Core-lokts. Like .35" loves. I couldn't get a Berger, Barnes or Nosler to shoot out of it better than 1.2"! At the distances she shoots and for deer or smaller, we conceded and stuck with the CLs. She has decided she wants an elk now, so she will be shooting a .280 and Accubonds this season!

Don't read anything it to just yet, it may not be the powder your rifle does not care for or even the primer, some rifles are just finicky, however that does not mean they aren't capable of incredible accuracy, I've had rifles that refused to shoot anything well for the first 200 rounds or so, its been over 25 years or so since I in countered a barrel so problematic, before I give up on one particular bullet I'd try at least 4 or 5 different powders, you may even find it just does not care the 116 gr hammer, the 110 or 117 could very well shoot the lights out.
Ha! I was going with the assumption he has tried or planned to try various combos/powders.
Some rifles can have you pulling your hair out. I am at the point in life (grumpy, stubborn, impatient comes to mind) I expect a custom barrel to play nice pretty early in it's life, lol.

I have about 10 pounds of Reloader 26, so that's where I'm starting. Again, I'm not really doing load work-up yet. Just loading up ammo to get her broke in. I shot the first 10 rounds, then cleaned with Butch's. Shot 8 rounds yesterday, and I'll clean again before I shoot any more. My plan is to clean every 10 rounds or so for the first 50. Not sure that's the best way, or the correct way, but it sounds reasonable to me.

If you haven't jumped the Hammers a bit, give them a running start, say start at .050" off the lands. Or seat them to the first band.

I am actually going through this with a rifle myself. It just has not given me good groups with a few bullets, powder, primer combos yet. Enough that adding up prices on expended components, are about half a barrels worth. And these days that's alot of components $$$.

Recent Posts