Barrel break in

timmay

Im sure this has been gone over and over to death and Ive always been in the camp of just going out and shooting your new rifle without worrying about any kind of special break in process. Ive never had an issue, but then again maybe I could have had better results if I did a break in process?
Anyhow I just got a new 6.5 creedmoor beater rifle that actually is pretty dang slick for a budget rifle.
Its the Howa 1500 multi cam heavy barrel with the FDE cerekote job. This is my first Howa and so far Im very impressed with its fit and finish and slick as snot action (not Tika slick but darn close)
The Howa manual suggests a barrel break in process that requires cleaning a whole bunch of times for the first 20 rounds.
I think Im going to go ahead and follow the directions as it can't hurt.
Have any of you actually noticed a difference from doing this, or is it even possible to know if it does any good as you never know how it would have shot one way or the other once you do or do not break it in.

T, probably a good idea to follow the mfg suggested procedure for a factory barrel. Most custom barrels don't foul much and can handle less break in. Use a bore guide. Good luck

Better be safe than sorry! There is likely to be imperfections and burrs in any barrel nowadays. Best to get them smoothed out to start with.

Some say it's a waist of time. Some say it's essential....
I do a break in on all my rifles to erase any doubt I may have wether I did the right thing or not when a rifle is being picky...

My last several rifles I have broken in with 20-25 rounds. 1-10 clean, next 3-5 shots, 3 or 4 times and clean....done. I have seen the ease of cleaning usually during the 1-10 shots. I'll then clean after the next couple 10-20 round sessions. I like BoreTec CU+2. The break in shots are a good time to sight in and get a feel for how it shoots anyway.

I'm an advocate of cleaning well before you shoot it. Often there are artifacts left from the machine and I want those out so they don't damage the bore.

Then shoot it and see what he barrel says. If you get a badly fouled patch the first time you'll probably want to follow their procedures.

my last several rifles i have broken in with 20-25 rounds. 1-10 clean, next 3-5 shots, 3 or 4 times and clean....done. I have seen the ease of cleaning usually during the 1-10 shots. I'll then clean after the next couple 10-20 round sessions. I like boretec cu+2. The break in shots are a good time to sight in and get a feel for how it shoots anyway.

My thoughts are that barrel break in help ease the ability to clean in the future and also allows you to shoot more before the barrel becomes fouled enough to affect accuracy. It is kind of a pain to do but it doesn't hurt anything.

Ill go ahead and do the break in process. It requires 20 rounds to do according to their layout in the manual

I have the exact same rifle, I only have 53 rounds down the barrel including the 20 round break in. I cleaned it again after the 20th round and went to shooting three shot groups. I don't know if the barrel cleaning made any difference or not, but the rifle has proven to be an excellent shooter. After eleven three shot groups the rifle has been sub moa with every load tried. Only shot factory rounds so far, but I do have a batch of reloads to ready to go this weekend for an OCW test. So far the worst factory load is the precision hunter 143 eld-x. It's worst group is .911 and its overall average is .784 I believe. The 140 ELDM is averaging an honest .550", and the 120 amax is averaging in the .6-.7" range. I'm extremely impressed with the rifle so far, and can't wait to try my 140 gameking reloads with RL16.

I have a bore snake, but rarely ever use it. I just used a tight fitting jag with hoppes#9 copper remover. And have not cleaned the barrel since break it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.