Barrel break in question

maninthemaze

I've got a question that hopefully someone on here will be able to answer. I am in the process of having a custom 7wsm built and have some questions about breaking in the barrel. I figured I'd ask here first because I don't want to harass the gunsmith. He needs to be working in the shop instead of answering my stupid newbie questions.

I explained to the gunsmith that I was planning on using 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullets in the new rifle. He said that he would "throat" the barrel for them, for more accuracy. My question is, would it be OK to break in the barrel using factory ammo. I cannot find any brass to load so I can start with the Berger's. Would shooting factory ammo through the rifle damage the throat.

I guess if it would damage anything, I'll just pull the bullets on the factory ammo and use the brass. Hell, any brass that I see, out of stock of course, is almost the same price as loaded ammo anyways.

Thanks again

I've got a question that hopefully someone on here will be able to answer. I am in the process of having a custom 7wsm built and have some questions about breaking in the barrel. I figured I'd ask here first because I don't want to harass the gunsmith. He needs to be working in the shop instead of answering my stupid newbie questions.

I explained to the gunsmith that I was planning on using 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullets in the new rifle. He said that he would "throat" the barrel for them, for more accuracy. My question is, would it be OK to break in the barrel using factory ammo. I cannot find any brass to load so I can start with the Berger's. Would shooting factory ammo through the rifle damage the throat.

I guess if it would damage anything, I'll just pull the bullets on the factory ammo and use the brass. Hell, any brass that I see, out of stock of course, is almost the same price as loaded ammo anyways.

Thanks again

Why not ask the guy who builds the barrel?

My question is, would it be OK to break in the barrel using factory ammo. I cannot find any brass to load so I can start with the Berger's. Would shooting factory ammo through the rifle damage the throat.

Thanks again

Yes it's OK to use factory ammo. And no, factory ammo won't damage the throat.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts