Differences between 6.5 SAUM & 6.5 Sherman Short

Mike D Texas

I'm considering one of these for my next build. I'm trying to determine what if any real world differences there is in performance between the 2. I've purchased brass for both and will sell whichever I decide not to use. Pictures below of both cases, 6.5 SAUM on left 6.5 SS on right:

94EA4258-3B8C-4E7E-BC42-93080179380F.jpeg

I have not check water capacity of each case yet so I don't know if there is any real difference in capacity.

I'm looking to build a light, short rifle to shoot suppressed. I want a 20" barrel and want to ensure that I will see a significant gain in performance over my 260AI that I currently use. That rifle with a 24" barrel currently shoots 140 VLD hunting bullets at 3050 fps +/- but it is a heavy beast and just unpleasant to carry and really too long for blind hunting with a suppressor attached. I may be inclined to sell it and replace it with one of these if the performance exceeds it.

I'd be interested to know from anyone that currently has or has had both of these and can provide some actual feedback. I know Rich has put a lot of time and effort into the development of the SS and it appears to be impressive.

If it matters I will be running a DBM setup on this and would be able to seat at a max COAL of 2.950" if needed.

I have a 20" 6.5 SAUM with Bartlein #3, 8.7 twist barrel. Originally was 24", muzzle velocity was 3,070 fps with 61.0 H1000 and the 139 scenar. Sent it back to GAP to chop it to 20". It is now at 2,990 fps with same load, same chronograph, and same suppressor.

I also use an APA RTG BDM with Accurate Mag 3 round 300WSM mags, allowing COAL of 2.95". My current load is around 2.85" so no issues there.

I have a 20" 6.5 SAUM with Bartlein #3, 8.7 twist barrel. Originally was 24", muzzle velocity was 3,070 fps with 61.0 H1000 and the 139 scenar. Sent it back to GAP to chop it to 20". It is now at 2,990 fps with same load, same chronograph, and same suppressor.

I also use an APA RTG BDM with Accurate Mag 3 round 300WSM mags, allowing COAL of 2.95". My current load is around 2.85" so no issues there.
Hmmmm, I would have expected higher velocities than that considering significantly more powder capacity than my 260AI.

if you already have brass for both id personally go with the 6.5ss
What are the reasons for your recommendation? I suspect both cases are going to have similar capacity. I do prefer the 40° shoulder on the SS and I'm certainly not opposed to driving them hard but what will I gain with the SS over the SAUM?

What are the reasons for your recommendation? I suspect both cases are going to have similar capacity. I do prefer the 40° shoulder on the SS and I'm certainly not opposed to driving them hard but what will I gain with the SS over the SAUM?
the 40 degree shoulder is a plus. longer neck, and little bit shorter case to seat heavier bullets out a bit more. Also Saum brass is tricky to come by but rich always seems to have head stamped ss brass in stock. and I do believe you may get a little better barrel life. plus not alot of people know about sherman short so there's that factor to lol.

they are basically the same if you're using a short action the SS should do a little better because the bullet wont be put as far into the case. if using a long action the saum should do a little better. i've got both in 6.5 and 7 cal both are awesome haven't shot the barrels out yet to know which one lasts longer.

I'm considering one of these for my next build. I'm trying to determine what if any real world differences there is in performance between the 2. I've purchased brass for both and will sell whichever I decide not to use. Pictures below of both cases, 6.5 SAUM on left 6.5 SS on right:

View attachment 336845

I have not check water capacity of each case yet so I don't know if there is any real difference in capacity.

I'm looking to build a light, short rifle to shoot suppressed. I want a 20" barrel and want to ensure that I will see a significant gain in performance over my 260AI that I currently use. That rifle with a 24" barrel currently shoots 140 VLD hunting bullets at 3050 fps +/- but it is a heavy beast and just unpleasant to carry and really too long for blind hunting with a suppressor attached. I may be inclined to sell it and replace it with one of these if the performance exceeds it.

I'd be interested to know from anyone that currently has or has had both of these and can provide some actual feedback. I know Rich has put a lot of time and effort into the development of the SS and it appears to be impressive.

If it matters I will be running a DBM setup on this and would be able to seat at a max COAL of 2.950" if needed.
I'm at 2925 with 144 bergers in my 16" 6.5 saum, the ss has less capacity so if you're looking for a big improvement over your 260 ai then why not go with a 6.5 max?

I'm at 2925 with 144 bergers in my 16" 6.5 saum, the ss has less capacity so if you're looking for a big improvement over your 260 ai then why not go with a 6.5 max?
I have a 264 Win Mag AI for the big jump over the 260AI.

Truthfully I have no practical use for either but when did practicality matter when discussing a new rifle? 😁

You didn't say what Range you'd be shooting? Shorter Barrel usually requires a larger bore for similar performance. Keep the 260 and go 6.8 Western or 7 SAUM? Either will give you more options in the shorter tube.

You didn't say what Range you'd be shooting? Shorter Barrel usually requires a larger bore for similar performance. Keep the 260 and go 6.8 Western or 7 SAUM? Either will give you more options in the shorter tube.
most short mags will work well with short barrels.
but he already stated that he has brass for those 2 cartridges. Id personally go with a 7SS if i were to do another build