Differences between 6.5 SAUM & 6.5 Sherman Short

What improvements did you end with, sharper neck angle/shorter neck, etc.? Those velocities out of 21" are no slouch.
Ed, all I did was change the shoulder angle and remove some taper, in this case to 45°. Probably a bit extreme but it feeds well from a Hawkins Hunter mag with the 130 TA.

I have to single feed the 144 LRHT. Long story short Manson built my reamer with the wrong freebore so it seats long. I haven't tried it with the 156 EOL yet.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 52
If a Man was looking to use an improved a SAUM case, what about the SS or Max would keep him from utilizing those existing designs?
Im sure there is a reason, trying to learn here.

Ed, all I did was change the shoulder angle and remove some taper, in this case to 45°. Probably a bit extreme but it feeds well from a Hawkins Hunter mag with the 130 TA.

I have to single feed the 144 LRHT. Long story short Manson built my reamer with the wrong freebore so it seats long. I haven't tried it with the 156 EOL yet.

I do not think 45 degree shoulder angle extreme, that's what the ICL wildcats are. My .338 Thor is also 45. Bummer on the wrong freebore. Good call on the SAUM by the way.

If a Man was looking to use an improved a SAUM case, what about the SS or Max would keep him from utilizing those existing designs?
Im sure there is a reason, trying to learn here.
Mainly, the homers here turn me off of them. They work…I have friends with them…but they are not the magic many here lead you to believe. Plus, their reamers are HIGH. Historically, they are higher than me custom spec'ing a reamer.

It varies greatly by demand…the one I ordered last year about this time took 12 weeks.

I ordered two about 3 weeks ago that I expect in the next 2 weeks.

What it is and what they can start with makes a huge difference.

I do not think 45 degree shoulder angle extreme, that's what the ICL wildcats are. My .338 Thor is also 45. Bummer on the wrong freebore. Good call on the SAUM by the way.
In Manson's defense, they reground me a reamer to the correct specs I asked for. I just haven't been interested in setting the barrel back and recutting it.

What's a typical lead time on a custom spec reamer? I've never been through the process.

Mine have run 12-16 weeks from Manson. This from the time I mailed a drawing and dummy cartridges to receiving the reamer.

It varies greatly by demand…the one I ordered last year about this time took 12 weeks.

Dang, who are you getting them from that quick?

This! My last reamer by Manson was right at 12 weeks. To cut the cost of the customer dies (I was going to order it from Whidden) and wait time, my GS suggested ordering a sizing reamer and using blank dies to make die sets (hydraulic forming and sizing/forming dies). My GS ordered the sizing reamer from PTG; IIRC, it took 2 weeks.
In Manson's defense, they reground me a reamer to the correct specs I asked for. I just haven't been interested in setting the barrel back and recutting it.
Excellent!