Did I Educate Them???

Question for the seasoned coyote hunter:

I was able to coyote hunt a couple spots I hadn't been to in many years. tonight, under a near full moon, I was on what used to be my best set for the second time this year. The first time I called just before dusk and came up empty handed.

Tonight I called-in and took the biggest 'coon I have ever seen (thought it was a coyote at first). After taking the shot I stood by and watched for any other movement. Moments later I heard approximately 10-15 coyotes sounding off from all directions and within a couple hundred yards. If it hadn't have been for the masked bandit I think I would have had several yotes on top of me in less than 5 minutes.

My question is: Did I educate the local coyotes with my calling and subsequent echoing shot? not sure how close the closest coyote was, but I was about 20 minutes into calling and from what I heard...I was likely in view. Any thoughts or recommendations? This is such a prime calling spot....hate to put it on hold this late in the year....I already have a late start to it.

You probably didn't educate them but if you're worried about it, you could try a different call next time or, just sit and wait without calling. Coyotes frequently are seen at dusk.

Where I live, I haven't had any success in calling coyotes but have killed a number by just sitting and waiting at dusk or at dawn.

I am no expert, but I do call some yotes in. We get a litter of young dumb ones every year. The ones that survive get smart and soon will not come to a call. I would let that spot cool for a week or two. Then try going in early am before light and calling just at first light. Any that get away are now a little smarter and only the young pups will usually come after a few lessons.

Good luck.

Jeff

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Coyotes hear shots all the time. If it were me I'd just give it a few weeks before trying again and use a different call. Maybe move your position a little.
I have a spot I like to call that is also a popular place for the locals to ride dirt bikes and go shooting so the dogs definitely hear shots and people often. I just get there before the sun comes up and call the same spot fairly often maybe every other month.
I've educated a couple coyotes there but it still is consistently one of my best spots. I just mix up my calls and sneak in real quiet. It sounds like there's a good number of dogs in your spot so there should be a fresh supply of uneducated ones every spring. Good luck.

Have you ever been able to teach a canine something with just a single exposer?. The coyote is wary but not that smart. Coons are good practice anyway.

i dont think so. give it a week or so and try again but from a diffrent spot and sound!!
good luck. night hunting is a blast!! are you using spot light to?

Spot lights are not legal in Iowa so have to wait for a good moon lit night with snow on the ground. tomorrow night is supposed to be clear and minimal wind. from what everyone posted it may be too early, but I might give it a try along with a couple other sets. selling furs tomorrow too. by the way...that coon I called in measured 39 inches from nose to base of tail skinned. probably fetch more for it than a coyote anyway!

Good On YOU!

Good on you!

I'd say what is sent can't be taken back ....... ie. the shot on the coon and NO I think the education on those coyotes will not be that lasting.

It's not like they had their beady little eyeballs right on you when you fired.

And one shot in the dark is not that disturbing to them anyway ........

But again, good on you! I have lost track on how many folks I've let hunt our ranch only to find that after my standard speech on NOT educating coyotes ....... they blatantly went and did it anyway .........

........... not in an innocent case of mistaken identity like you shooting that humunges coon but indiscriminantly blazing away at the sight of a coyote out of range.

So if you are cognisant of your surroundings and learning from things as you are .........

......... then "bully for you" and go have more fun ..........

Change up sounds ........ you'd want to do that next time in that area anyway!

Three 44s

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.