Dialing a bullet to powder to barrel

No just hodgden reloading website.
Since you are new to reloading, I highly suggest getting the bullets' reloading manuals you will load, i.e., Hornady, Berger, Nosler, if you have not done so already. The manuals not only has the recommended tested loads, but it also has essential information (esp. safety) that will help you in your reloading process. Even us old dogs that have been reloading for a while getting the reloading manuals. They are an excellent source of data/information.

As you can see, there are many good folks here, always willing and able to help. You have been provided with excellent recommendations. Take the time to synthesize the information being presented to you. Being proficient in reloading does not happen overnight; enjoy the learning process.

When you have re-checked your rifle/scope set-up and ready for your next round of reloading, especially with a new powder, consider @WYOHTF Satterlee method recommendation.

Ed

Last edited:
Since you are new to reloading, I highly suggest getting the bullets' reloading manuals you will load, i.e., Hornady, Berger, Nosler, if you have not done so already. The manuals not only has the recommended tested loads, but it also has essential information (esp. safety) that will help you in your reloading process. Even us old dogs that have been reloading for a while getting the reloading manuals. They are an excellent source of data/information.

As you can see, there are many good folks here, always willing and able to help. You have been provided with excellent recommendations. Take the time to synthesize the information being presented to you. Being proficient in reloading does not happen overnight; enjoy the learning process.

When you have re-checked your rifle/scope set-up and ready for your next round of reloading, especially with a new powder, consider @WYOHTF Satterlee method recommendation.

Ed

Never truer words have spoken! Old Dogs and learn new tricks. I am almost 73 now, and a day that I don't learn something new is a bad day. the only wish it I could retain more!

The Saterlee method is basically a 1/3 developed load. Sd...check. Seating depth....not developed. Accuracy node....not developed

It's been my experience that flat spots in velocity which indicates a low es and sd is an accuracy node. Refining the seating depth can be done afterwards to fine tune grouping. For long range es is a killer. You can have a load that groups well at 100 but if the es is 50 fps that is not going to play well at 600 plus yards.

My buddy has a light weight storm in the same caliber. Tried 3 different factory loads and nothing was smaller than 3" at 100yrds. I loaded him 140grn hunting vld with H4350 and .010" off the lands. His storm had a mag length of just over 3" so there was plenty of room to fit in the mag. Used 3 charge weights and they all went less were sub 1moa.

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_220411413~2.jpg
    IMG_20201229_220411413~2.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 105
My buddy has a light weight storm in the same caliber. Tried 3 different factory loads and nothing was smaller than 3" at 100yrds. I loaded him 140grn hunting vld with H4350 and .010" off the lands. His storm had a mag length of just over 3" so there was plenty of room to fit in the mag. Used 3 charge weights and they all went less were sub 1moa.
Awesome. Thanks so much. I was thinking of giving that exact billet a try as I was watching Eric cortina videos about how their bc is consistent

Ed

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

Thank you so much for the detailed response!
They forgot a few manuals. Sierra, Norma, Hornady, Speers. It will give you a wider ranges of powder to use, and primers too. Once you get your manuals, don't throw them into the trash can when getting update ones a few years down the road. They change over the years. Several change twist rates and don't show others with different twist rates in that caliber. If a new cartridge comes out they will post their velocity and use a barrel length say 26" and posts other in their same area with a 24" barrel stating how much faster there is over the other. That really P*ss me off, in unfair comparison. There is one manual that is showing different twist rates, I can't remember presently which one it was. Sierra generally have a large range in loading for more cases than the others.

If I'm buying a manual I would just buy a Hornady. Nosler, Hogdon, Alliant all have data online.

Hey thanks. I started at 48 grains tben moved up to 50 grains in half grain. Starline brass. Very new to reloading. I loaded to coal of 2.80.
I think you need to know your jump that is really important and some bullets like to be close or far from the lands

Hornady has an app and you can buy one cartridge of data for 99 cents. Sierra has an app that costs a couple of bucks.

The Lee 2nd manual is ten years old now, but probably has the widest range of info in a single place.

The Saterlee method is basically a 1/3 developed load. Sd...check. Seating depth....not developed. Accuracy node....not developed
Agreed, but it is the best starting point to conserve reloading supplies in the current times.
And this fella openly admitted he is a beginner.
Bet his head is swimming now, with almost all of the advice he has been given, being solid
🙈🧐

Agreed, but it is the best starting point to conserve reloading supplies in the current times.
And this fella openly admitted he is a beginner.
Bet his head is swimming now, with almost all of the advice he has been given, being solid
🙈🧐
agree. He needs a capable mentor more than a 5 page thread of possibly good ideas.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.