Dialing a bullet to powder to barrel

Also I have noticed that h4350 is not listed on a lot of the new load data for 7mm-08. Seems tbe reloader powders are getting more popular
In the .308 case it shines best with heavy bullets
H4350 isn't an easy powder to get these days. Don't waist it on the 140 class bullets
Maybe save it for some longer heavier bullets
Jmtcw

Your welcome,
I've been loading for many .308 based cartridges for a few years now.
The 7mm-08 A.I. is were it's at for that cal/cartridge.
You will need a case trimmer soon.
That's the biggest reason I went to the A.I.
Speed was just a bonus

Oops, my bad
I didn't catch the eld x part
😬
Them are good bullets
Edited because I posted "god" instead of "good"
I despise spell check.

Last edited:
This should be in: The Basics, Starting Out section FWIW?

1609124446987.png

Another critical point is bullet stability. I use the Berger stability calculator. Velocity, twist rate, bullet weight, bullet length, ballistic coefficient (bc), temperature, humidity, and altitude all are players.

Last edited:
So, despite everyone giving you tips and what works for them, it all comes down to your barrel harmonics and what is known as the big 5 for accuracy, on a factory rifle IMO. They are the crown, bore of the barrel, bolt recoil lugs, trigger, and bed job in the stock. These are fairly simple things to make a factory gun shoot better, not great, but most of the time better. Reloading is a whole different animal, there are so ways and components to systematically check. If you have specific bullet you are wanting to run, then you will have to play with powder, primer, and seat depth combos....thats assuming you are using and reusing brass correctly(a whole different topic) to get a precise load. If you are willing change bullets, then I would start with a good non-sensitive powder and start changing bullets. If those 139s did not shoot well you need to move up and down 20 to 50 grains in bullet weight and try again, see if you get better or worse precision. Harmonics is what it's all about. Look up barrel harmonics if you wanna go down a rabit hole. Hope this helps.

In my Lyman 50th edition I quote this sentence"Nonerheless best accuracy often occurs with all bullet weights when using Hodgdon H380. I shoot 140 ballistic tips are very accurate at 100 yards. Try them. 7mm-08.

Might be a good idea to check and recheck scope setup (mounts, etc). Also, make sure action area is clean and screwed in nice and tight. Not many guns shoot 3" groups at 100 simply based on ammo. Good luck Sir

Thanks so much everyone for the help. Rabbit hole is definitely a good way to put it. So much info. I will try and pick up some h380. Tough out there right now. Looks like I picked a rough time to get into reloading.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts