Dialing a bullet to powder to barrel

Mackegney

Hey all. I loaded up some 139 btsp (100 free with my dies) over h4350 I'm my 7mm-08. Took it to the range today and the results were awful. (Savage 110 storm with 22 inch barrel, 1-9.5 twist). Best group was about 3 inches at 100. I shot some 120 ttsx factory loads and they were about an inch. Also it was 19 degrees here so no the best for not shaking a little bit. I really want to get a load dialed in for spring bear hunt. Was looking to shoot the 139 lrx or the 140 accubond. My question is do some barrels just not shoot a certain bullet powder combo? Or is it my shooting? How do you guys figure this all out? Also if anyone what's 80 btsp let me know. We can work out a trade. Thanks guys and gals.

Welcome to my world. This is the obsession and frustration of reloading. My load for 7mm-08 is 46.5 of IMR 4350 under 140 gr Sierra. My Rem 7 is not very accurate. It actually shoots Hornady Superformance ammo better than my reloads. But it used to shoot better. My load might not be matched or my seating depth might not be right. You might try different seating depths with your load. Find where the bullet hits the rifle lands. This is "jam". Then go back in .010 increments until it closes in. The tune it by .003 increments. When you find 2 or 3 increments that group, go with the closer one (longest oal) and bump it up .001 to give you some play room. Seating depth is everything. Hope this helps.

Did you use the same powder charge and seating depth for all the rounds you loaded? Those are the two primary variables in play. What is your overall loading experience? No use in harassing you about neck turning if you're still one Step 1.

To answer your specific question: yes, some bullet/powder combinations just don't work together.

A bit of unsolicited advice: when you're starting out - shoot more. Shooting thee shot groups or ladders of one charge per level doesn't do much for you if the nut behind the trigger is loose and you can't tell anything from those small, insignificant groups. So instead of 3, shoot 10 or 20 or 30. Finesse comes with experience. Experience comes from pulling the trigger. So pull the trigger more. If that's 3" at 100 yards for you today, that's what today is. Write it down and keep going forward.

Last edited:
Hello sir,
You post led me to a few ?,
1) was this new brass, once fired...?
2) what kinda jump do ya got
3) are your cases trimmed?
4) what are you using for a primer?
5) what was the charge weight
And assuming theses are the Hornady bullet bonuses
You could get a cheap box of American Whitetails which come with that same bullet and see what ya get or performance.

Ok so brand new starline brass. Still haven't measured the chamber for jump. Cars are not trimmed. Federal 210 match grade primer. 48-50 in half grain. 49 grains was 3 inch group.

Hodgon load data is:
H4350
Start - 47.0
Max - 50.0 (compressed)
COL: 2.800"

H4350 is not in the Hornady 9th for 139gr or in Nosler's current 140gr data. Lee 2nd lists the 47.0 gr charge as compressed for 139gr with a 50.0C max.

None of this says you can't use it, I'm just thinking off the top of my head that if H4350 is a longer kernel it might not be optimal running over 100% load density for this round. You could try vibrating/shaking it to settle the powder some. Ultimately something slightly faster might work better for you. IMR 4350 is different and maybe a better fit.

That said, based on my previous advice, shoot that stuff up to see what it can teach you.

Last edited:
Varget loves the .308 based cases with most bullet weights and is VERY temp stable.
I'd start at about 43 grains and work up from there using the Satterlee method.
Double check your dies, make sure they are adjusted. I had all kinds of troubles awhile back, ring was loose.
Good luck, stay away from HotRodin your rifle and let it be your personal trainer.
Always fallow the basics, there are a few good books out on advanced reloading and more knowledge on this site than in any book.
Sort through the showboat keyboard warriors carefully, trust your manuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.