Dialing a bullet to powder to barrel

To answer your question yes. Certain powders tend to be more accurate in certain calibers. Then some rifle barrels can be picky about what bullets they like. Look at the Nosler reloading data online. They do a good job of picking suitable powders for each caliber. I would suggest reading about some of the basic methods of load development and make sure you have a solid shooting platform for testing.

RuninL8 has a really good point, especially barrel harmonics. That's one subject that kinda gets overlooked a lot? I have 2 Savage B-Mags, one of which is an early "pencil barrel" that actually shot pretty good when new. In the past year, it's accuracy fell off considerably. I sent it back to Savage for accurizing and they did miracles with it. It all had to do with the barrel harmonics. The original thin barrel was 26 inches, when I got it back it was shortened to 21 Inches and recrowned. Now I'm getting 1/2" moa, better than when new! At first, I thought they re-barreled it but the new rifles come with a 22-inch barrel, and I also had a few scratches on the old barrel which are still there. My guess is the barrel was so long and thin it was like a tuning fork!! Over the years the original barrel developed a "warp" and/or "nodes" from so many rounds being put thru it, or bent from me doing something stupid maybe? If you have that type of problem Savage does a very good job rectifying it, and usually at no charge?

Thanks so much everyone for the help. Rabbit hole is definitely a good way to put it. So much info. I will try and pick up some h380. Tough out there right now. Looks like I picked a rough time to get into reloading.
I Shoot the same bullet in my 7 mm 08. I think you'll find better success with Varget. I currently use IMR 4064 with good success and have been considering switching to Varget for its temperature stability - they have similar burn rates. H380 is a ball powder and will be harder to ignite in cold weather and less temperature stable than Varget.

Double check everything on your rifle. Go shoot it and make sure it's shooting somewhat accurate with a known accurate factory load for 7-08. Have someone else shoot it also to eliminate the human factor if it's still not a shooting accurate. I've loaded for 3 different 7-08's and found great success with the 150 ELDX over Varget. Super accurate. All 3 shot under 1/2 MOA. Using CCI large rifle primer, Winchester brass.

Last edited:
Hey all. I loaded up some 139 btsp (100 free with my dies) over h4350 I'm my 7mm-08. Took it to the range today and the results were awful. (Savage 110 storm with 22 inch barrel, 1-9.5 twist). Best group was about 3 inches at 100. I shot some 120 ttsx factory loads and they were about an inch. Also it was 19 degrees here so no the best for not shaking a little bit. I really want to get a load dialed in for spring bear hunt. Was looking to shoot the 139 lrx or the 140 accubond. My question is do some barrels just not shoot a certain bullet powder combo? Or is it my shooting? How do you guys figure this all out? Also if anyone what's 80 btsp let me know. We can work out a trade. Thanks guys and gals.
1st when developing loads use a known good scope, never a new scope imo. 2nd dont just guess. I did for a long time and thought I was a decent reloader.
I have found a method that works for me. Find the accuracy node THEN the speed node. You must find jump/accuracy node 1st because changing seating depth effects speed and will take you out of the speed node/low sd's.
I start 2 grs below max powder charge and find the accuracy/jump node. By loading 3 round sets at 3 thou increments. Shoot the groups. The groups will be big medium small small medium big again. Load the jump in middle of the small groups. That way any inconsistencies in seating depth will not effect group size. If the bullet/powder combo doesnt produce the moa you require start over with a different combo.
Then to find the speed node, load from 2 grs below max to max at .1 gr increments and shoot the 20 rds through a chronograph at the jump you just found to be the most accurate. Look for a .4 gr or more node that has a ES of 20 fps or less. And load the middle of the node. Now you have a load that shoots small groups with a low sd of about 7 or less.
After you've load for awhile you'll know what bullets like for jump, kinda. I have found Berger's of all flavors like about 60 to 75 thou jump the best. So I load 60 63 66 69 72 75 thou first and hopefully find a sub half moa accuracy node. With a LRX I would start at 25 to 50 thou as both those jumps were a half and 5/8 in my 300 wm with a 200 LRX. Every barrel is different so try what you know and go from there.

Welcome to my world. This is the obsession and frustration of reloading. My load for 7mm-08 is 46.5 of IMR 4350 under 140 gr Sierra. My Rem 7 is not very accurate. It actually shoots Hornady Superformance ammo better than my reloads. But it used to shoot better. My load might not be matched or my seating depth might not be right. You might try different seating depths with your load. Find where the bullet hits the rifle lands. This is "jam". Then go back in .010 increments until it closes in. The tune it by .003 increments. When you find 2 or 3 increments that group, go with the closer one (longest oal) and bump it up .001 to give you some play room. Seating depth is everything. Hope this helps.
7mm-08 Nosler Manual #9 is showing for 140gr Max @ 46gr of IMR4350 primers WLR. Norma manual doesn't deal in your powder you are using. Hornady 139gr max is 46.5gr with IMR4350 , Primers Rem 9 1/2, and W760 shows 48.0grs max in Hornady tenth addition. Sierra 8 addition is showing 47.5gr max with IMR 4350 primers WLR.

What reloading manual did you obtain your information? H4350 is not not listed the the Hornady 10th edition or the Lyman 49th edition. IMR 4350 is listed but is not interchangeable grain for grain. If you do not have any loading manuals, buy some. The loading manuals have very valuable. The "ABCs of Handloading" is also a very good reference. Some of the powder manufacturers also have loading data on the internet.

What reloading manual did you obtain your information? H4350 is not not listed the the Hornady 10th edition or the Lyman 49th edition. IMR 4350 is listed but is not interchangeable grain for grain. If you do not have any loading manuals, buy some. The loading manuals have very valuable. The "ABCs of Handloading" is also a very good reference. Some of the powder manufacturers also have loading data on the internet.
There nothing I put in about H4350. All I refer to, was IMR powder except W760. Primers used included.

When talking about harmonics, Wife has a savage weather warrior 16 in 7mm 08. Shoots winchester ballistic tips factory to .5 moa...When she was interested in shooting an elk, we tried the federal premium and i do believe back then it was a nosler partion. it was 5 moa!!! litterally a pie pan at 100 yards. Switched back to the ballistic tips and it was 1/2 inch groups...Have never reloaded for it, she just shoots deer with it every few years....The only thing that makes sense to me is harmonics. Same grain of bullets....140

139 gr Hornady, both btsp and sp, have a short bearing surface. Might try stepping on the gas with that 4350 and work up to 48-49 grs. I shoot 48 with same bullet. Also my oal is 2.80 which is seating right on the cannelure. Have had good luck with those 2 bullets.

If groups don't tighten up, powders from 4895 to H380 burn rates are all good too. The 7-08 with 140 gr weight range bullets will tolerate many powders.

Work up with whichever powder you re trying. If you have access to a chronograph while building your load that's very useful. Depending on barrel length you should see 2750 to 2850 FPS and typically those velocities provide solid accuracy. Lastly if it still doesn't come around try a 140 ballistic tip or 140 GK or Pro-Hunter. If you don't get 1 moa or better groups after that dig into the scope mounts, bedding, etc. Good luck

Wow! This thread has gone everywhere. You had a factory load that shot pretty well, right? 120gr Barnes....why not run those? or a jacketed bullet around 130 gr??

Im not sure you are at tough yet.

first, I would buy 3 bullets within 20 gr of each other you want to shoot. For each, I would load 3 at min, mid and max charge. I would load at 0.050" clearance to lands. Ask me if you don't know how to do this.

Also, look up Eric cortina's video on setting up your FL die and do that.

I'd like to thank everyone so much for the detailed responses. Every little new thing I can learn is much appreciated. That's why I love this forum. So much knowledge and experience here.

Hey. Thanks for responding. I used the hogden website.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.