Dialing a bullet to powder to barrel

My most accurate load in my Remington Model 7 and in my Remington 700 is a Nosler 120gr ballistic tip over 42.0 gr IMR 4895 in a Remington case using a CCI 200 primer. I have kept the brass separated for each rifle and only neck size the cases after they were fired in that particular rifle. Might not be the most powerful load but accuracy is what I wanted.

What powders you you have for this thing? I might look in quick load to see what I can see.
Thanks so much! I am actually picking up some powders tomorrow from a gentleman who has been reloading for years. I'll see what he has. As of now I just have Varget and h4350.

If Varget or H4350 doesn't provide a usable load I d try a different bullet. 42 grs of Varget and 48 grs of H4350 have both shot well with Hornady 139 s for me in 3 different 7-08s. Work up regardless.

Hey thanks. I started at 48 grains tben moved up to 50 grains in half grain. Starline brass. Very new to reloading. I loaded to coal of 2.80.
Well, according to Quick Load everything over 48.5 exceeded max pressure. Did you find that data printed somewhere?

Thanks so much! I am actually picking up some powders tomorrow from a gentleman who has been reloading for years. I'll see what he has. As of now I just have Varget and h4350.
Well, VARGET shows a MAX of 44.0, but is only 99.9% fill. Velocity of It could be ok, but usually I like 103-108% range. This is with the 139gr Hornady bullets.

For H4350, MAX is 48.5gr. Velocity of 2842fps. Same bullet. Fill is 109%.....there is potential here, IMO. Somewhere 45-48.5gr... Although Hodgdon data online shows 50 gr max.

6.5 Staball 51.4gr at 2848 fps
RE17 49.2gr at 2975fps
RE16 47.8 at 2946 fps

Just some ideas for powders. I would start 10% low and work up. I'm certainly no Quick Load expert and cannot vouch for these loads at all.

Take a hammer to open your bolt if you shoot 44 grs of Varget.... trust me. I found 43 grs with 139 gr bullet leaving extractor marks and stiff bolt on every 7-08 .... backed off to 42 grs and all was well. Short of your rifle being unique to most don't think you ll safely make 44 grs!!

Thanks so much everyone for the help. Rabbit hole is definitely a good way to put it. So much info. I will try and pick up some h380. Tough out there right now. Looks like I picked a rough time to get into reloading.
You have what ya need in the Varget. It will show ya at least two nodes.
Don't stress what isn't available and what ya know doesn't work.
If ya use the Satterlee method, which I know works; you will waist minimal stock at hand.
There is so much advice being given, most of it good.
Slow down, do your own research, and let the books and videos you read or watch be the judge above what you here on a keyboard response organism...
Not all the bacteria in the gut is good, but most times, some of it is...Jmtcw

You have what ya need in the Varget. It will show ya at least two nodes.
Don't stress what isn't available and what ya know doesn't work.
If ya use the Satterlee method, which I know works; you will waist minimal stock at hand.
There is so much advice being given, most of it good.
Slow down, do your own research, and let the books and videos you read or watch be the judge above what you here on a keyboard response organism...
Not all the bacteria in the gut is good, but most times, some of it is...Jmtcw
Haa. Thanks so much

I tried looking up Varget and getting it to post.
It didn't work.
But sounds like you already know how to navigate Hodgdons data page

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.