Deforming Nozler Accubond bullet tips

MontanaJack

I bought a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5-284 that has too much jump and won't shoot Berger VLD Hunting bullets accurately. I can't seat the bullets near the lands of the bore. There is almost 0.200 of jump with secant ogive bullets. I'm trying various tangent ogive bullets to see if I can settle down the groups. My problem: I'm deforming the bullet tips on the Accubond bullets. Switched my Redding Competition Seater back to the original seating plug (removed the VLD plug), but the deformation is too severe to continue. I ordered 21st Century dies & mandrels to open up my new Lapua brass. However, I'd appreciate some advice re/ this issue. Are others having problems? Do particular seating dies work best with tangent ogive bullets? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0141 (1).jpg
    IMG_0141 (1).jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1,714
That's just plain odd right there! If this were on an accubond long range it'd be less odd but still unusual. The original accubonds aren't so long or pointy as to be out of the ordinary for what die makers build around. I had some issues deforming the tips on hornady 225 eld m bullets in my .300 win mag, it was a compressed load, and hornady does recommend buying special seating stems for these which I did not use (honesty time - cheapest lee dies money can buy, no mods, resulted in a repeatable one ragged hole group load). This was largely alleviated by seating them very slowly, and in intervals - seat 1/3 of total seating depth, remove, rotate cartridge a bit, seat another 1/3 further, rotate a bit again, finish seating, again, super slow. The rotating thing helps with concentricity (or maybe it doesn't but I'm happy with the result of my whole process and am leaving it alone)

I just burned the barrel off my 6.5-284 ridge line. I use the 143 eldx, Berger 140 elite hunter and the nosler accubond. Also used the 156 Berger. You should be able to seat these out far enough to get a bite on the bullet with the case.
Are you running your new brass through a FL sizing die and then chamfering and deburring?

I just burned the barrel off my 6.5-284 ridge line. I use the 143 eldx, Berger 140 elite hunter and the nosler accubond. Also used the 156 Berger. You should be able to seat these out far enough to get a bite on the bullet with the case.
Are you running your new brass through a FL sizing die and then chamfering and deburring?
Like where your head's at on this. Think this could be a case of crazy overdone neck tension? Don't know why else this would be happening with this shape of bullet, not a lawn dart or anything.

I bought a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5-284 that has too much jump and won't shoot Berger VLD Hunting bullets accurately. I can't seat the bullets near the lands of the bore. There is almost 0.200 of jump with secant ogive bullets. I'm trying various tangent ogive bullets to see if I can settle down the groups. My problem: I'm deforming the bullet tips on the Accubond bullets. Switched my Redding Competition Seater back to the original seating plug (removed the VLD plug), but the deformation is too severe to continue. I ordered 21st Century dies & mandrels to open up my new Lapua brass. However, I'd appreciate some advice re/ this issue. Are others having problems? Do particular seating dies work best with tangent ogive bullets? Thank you in advance.
You happen to have a picture of the label on the box? Nosler makes a 140gr Accubond in 6.5mm, .277, and 7mm

I've absolutely picked up the wrong one while browsing a place like Cabelas only to notice when putting my stuff up on the counter at checkout.

There's something else wrong here... I've run Accubonds over heavy compressed loads where powder was 2/3 of the way up the case neck and required two passes on the press to properly seat without so much as a light scuff on the bullet nose from the seater stem. I dont think I could even deform the bullet that badly with a pair of pliers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.