Savage Laupa .338 250 grain nozler partiton

Yukon75

Just bought this rifle and am in the process of finding the rifles sweet spot. At current I am figuring the O.A.L. using Hornady O.A.L. Gauge with Bullet Comparator. After ten measurements using a 250 grain Nosler Partition (my choice of bullet) I have come up with an average length 3.981 with Comparator which would give me a average of 2.981 without comparator. My plan is to build five sets of five loads starting with .010, .015, .020 and .025 off the land. Same process I used with my Ruger .338. My question is this: is my O.A.L. (at the lands) for the Lapua sound right? I have reviewed many a threads and options and it sounds like I am off target. I don't understand how, but now I am questioning myself. If anyone is out there who can understand my actions and questions and could help me, I would much appreciate it very much. I am new this forum asking, hope I have made sense. Yukon75

Are you talking about the comparator that you put on your calipers to measure the over all length of the bullet from the ogive? If so, I measured a round from my 338 Lapua and without the comparator, mine measure 3.900 and with the comparator they measure 3.057. That is with a 300 gr Berger OTM. I wouldn't think that your over all loaded loaded length would be that long to reach the rifling.

Did you buy this gun brand new or used?

I also don't understand how your length with the comparator is longer than without. Should be the other way around.

First off there's not many people who could handle 25 shots off a bench with a .338 lapua... I would think after 10-15 recoil may affect your shooting form and concentration to give an honest test to what your trying to find out..recoil must be taken into account with this beast. Assuming this is a big big game hunting rifle most people aren't interested in the difference between a 1 inch group vs a 1 1 1/2 er, because of the size of the kill zone, pretty much somewhere between a basketball and a beach ball. That's a lot of fun there to be experimenting with...Anything you put a 250 grain partition through ain't going anywhere except for a ride in your truck !!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.