Dedicated Coyote Rifle - get the Varmint Contour Barrel or Std. Sporter Weight

Several of us have dedicated coyote rifles that we also take to the range to shoot just for the enjoyment of them as well as to be very familiar with them. Mine is a model 70 Winchester chambered in 223 Rem. that I bought on sale in the mid 80's then as time and money allowed, I made modifications to it. When I bought it the first thing I did was stop by my gunsmith and had it pillar bedded. It came with a sporter barrel not heavy or not a thin barrel. I mounted a good quality scope on it and made sure it was in fact correctly mounted. Next came a trigger job as money allowed, I put a good quality trigger that I talked with several shooters, hunters and gunsmiths about before deciding what trigger I wanted for the environment it would be in. I took lessons from a bench rest shooter on setting up my new prize even though it wasn't a bench rest rifle I wanted the best out of it. I learned how to reload from bench rest shooters started with good brass and did the preparation of the brass as a bench rest shooter would. I studied the type of bullets that I wanted so that they would do what I wanted out of them, I found out what powder it, the brass, bullets liked as a combination, what velocity was good, what seating depth was best by asking those same bench rest guys what they would recommend for my needs. They all said pretty much the same things about muzzle velocities you don't have to shoot it as fast as it will most times a good moderate load will get you good accuracy, barrel life, brass life, and killing power. Broke in the barrel as was suggested by the manufacture. Eventually I had the factory stock fitted to me as I am a small person it was a little long in the length of pull. It is a factory rifle that has had modifications made to it to make it fit me and my needs better, It and I have taken several hundred coyote and other varmints over the years. Yes, you can buy a factory rifle with a sporter barrel do some things to enhance it, target shoot, hunt deer, hunt coyotes and any other critters that you want. You don't have to have a heavy barrel for what you describe, but you also probably don't want a thin barrel either, they come with their own peculiarities, You can go to a good sporting's good store handle a few rifles and see what feels good for you, shoulder them with your eyes closed then open your eyes to see how they are fitting you and what your eyes are lined up with the action and barrel like. Choosing a good fitting rifle is kind of like choosing a good fitting pair of boots the better the fit the more enjoyment you will get out of them and it. You can buy a good quality rifle with a good size barrel from the factory that will be the right length, twist rate for most factory offered loads as an all-around rifle, you by the way are asking the right things for what you need to know, most likely the best thing to think about is that you probably don't want to go too far in any direction, weight wise, heavy or light.

Paragraphs my man................I'm way to ADD to attempt to read this:)

On second thought a sporter weight .223 training rifle would be about perfect if you handload. If only going to shoot out to 250 yards then even 50-55 grain high BC bullets would do fine. Before I got my 7mm RM I had a new Remarms (Remington) on order. 700 ADL with 1-8" twist. Put that in a chassis or even laminated stock and you're all set. It would make a great long range trainer too.
I was going to mention the Tikka in a 8 twist 22/250. That is a superb world to play in!

Okay, but I was talking to a guy that has less experience then most on here so he might want to know more than most others. It's not a problem less is good then. Yes, you can buy a factory rifle chambered in 243 and do what you have asked about. Any of the standard factory sporter barrels will work for your needs in any of the lengths and weights but for me I would choose the sporter barrel.

Last edited:
I run a 1-8 twist 22-250 Tikka totally stock. With 3-9 scope and bipod it's very comfortable to carry many miles. Pretty much the easy button. I did just buy a Howa Mini .223 which is even lighter but am still waiting on a scope to arrive. Will see how that goes.

Attachments

• IMG_1494.jpeg
    IMG_1494.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 11
I have a Ruger M77 RSI (full stock) in .243 that I hunt coyotes with but I use other rifles as well, including a .30-06. I don't like heavy barrels on coyote rifles, but even worse is long barrels, for the simple fact when you are running and gunning, it is easier to get in and out of the truck with a shorter barrel. Also, a shorter barrel scribes a smaller arc when you are swinging it (another reason my favorite deer stand rifle in MN is a 20" Rem 7). Granted, maybe not even an issue, but I will take it. I would add I don't shoot coyotes at long range; generally 50 yards or so. I often use a Win SX3 with buckshot or BBs.

I run a 1-8 twist 22-250 Tikka totally stock. With 3-9 scope and bipod it's very comfortable to carry many miles. Pretty much the easy button. I did just buy a Howa Mini .223 which is even lighter but am still waiting on a scope to arrive. Will see how that goes.
I've got a Howa "Mini" in .204, love it just wish I'd got the 223 instead.

Standard sporting profile barrel, 22 inch especially if it is a calling rifle. I have had my Ruger MKII in 22-250 for 30 years. It is the least accurate of my coyote rifles. Will at best do 1 MOA. However, it is my main squeeze. Perfect combination of length and weight. Very seldom do I have to shoot over a hundred yards. My longest calling shots are at 250. Minute of coyote will do. I can't blame any misses on the gun. For late season, longer range coyotes that might hang up I carry a 24 inch 6mm creed. It does not get carried a lot.

My dedicated coyote rifle is an A.R. 15 converted to 6 mm arc with an 18 inch barrel. I routinely shoot out to 400 yards at my range plus its not too heavy not too light and the ability for quick follow up shots. I also run it suppressed.
IMG_4043.jpeg

I'm going to get the 22" sporter

So its a no remorse about weight and useability

I have used a few heavy barrel guns and its an instant burden as soon as you pick one up versus a sporter. They don't swing or fire from standing without fatigueing the user.

I doubt ilk ever shoot past 250 or have a stop good nuff for that.....

Good scopes=big money