Coyote Rifle Twist Rate and Bullet Weights

You could also look at the .17 remington with 25gr. V-max or hornandy FBHP. It pushes them about 4100 FPS and vaporizes coyotes and the ballistics are great. doing everything the .204 and 22-250 is ding and beats them in wind drift. on a coyote out to 400 yards you are good and there is no exit wound. Ive reloaded nosler 60 and 69gr solid base in my 22-250 for hunting fur, they are were made for hunting deer size game with thicker jackets to hold together, just 2 small holes, a lot of fur hunters used to use them. Sierra actually makes a 55gr blitz king FMJ that they designed for fur and I think they have it in .243 also.
I like the heavier bullets, better .BC and less drop and wind drift when you have to stretch out your shots.
My friend built a 6x45 shooting the 87gr V-max and 95gr SMK and it is hammer, shot a Rockchuck with it at 640yards with the SMK and fun as hell to shoot. Ballistically better than the .223 and easy to load for. its so much fun Im in the process of building a 6x204 ruger to shoot the 87gr v-max and 95gr SMK at about 3150fps, he is getting 2900fps out of his 6x45.
Ive take the .22 77gr and 6mm 95gr SMK and closed the tip on them by rolling on a hard surface them pointing them, and they work great for fur hunting, a trapper from Wiscconsin turned me on to that years ago. and you got the .BC for for long shots and that added weight which translates to energy.

I bought a Franklin Armory AR with a 20" barrel 1;8 twist for coyotes and it shoots 50grs fine, but as i was saying i shoot a lot of the 77gr SMK's and such and its a hammer for an AR. And they do make AR'S in the 204 ruger, and you can get barrels in the 6x45 also.

I just purchased a 204 Ruger with 1:12 twist barrel for my 65th birthday and shot it the first time this weekend with 32 and 40 grain Hornady Superformance rounds. I have never been able to shoot any rifle so accurately in my life! Only shooting at 100 yards but you have to start somewhere! I am stoked and if I can continue with the kind of accuracy I am getting out to 200-250 yards I might just get interested in trying for Coyotes. I don't ever see them although I do hear them at night. I, of course, would limit shots to the range I feel comfortable shooting. Otherwise I might just as well scare them off by lighting a string of firecrackers. But, who knows, with this gun, I might just get there. Fingers crossed. :^)

If you're talking about hunting coyotes you're talking about shooting in the wind. Westcliff was dead on it with his advice. Were there's coyotes, there's wind. High BC bullets is number one.
I recently made a mistake in getting a one in 12 twist for my 243. It was explained to me, but I was mistaken with my twist rates and my trajectory tables. You look at three and 400 yards Windrift, high BC bullets and win hands down.
I was lucky though, I am able to shoot the high BC 88 grain bergers well out of my one and 12 twist 243. My next girl will be at one and eight so I can shoot the 105's.
After watching a lot of DVDs, hunting shows, I just don't have any confidence in the 223 caliber and anchoring coyotes dead right there. I know there's a lot of passionate 223 owners on this site, I just happen not to be one of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.