Custom Coyote/Varmint Rifle 223

Why not? I Always buy an 8 twist and then can shoot whatever bullet I please. I shoot 50zmax/zmax,53 vmax, 55 vmax, 52 Berger ,69 tmk, and 75eldm. All from same barrel Completely versatile. Or I could go with a 12 twist and then I'm stuck at 50-55 and under. 223 9 twist and lose ability to shoot 75eldm. 223 7 twist blows 50 vmax up at 3500fps from recent experience. 8 is the most versatile. There is ONE drawback to a 50 in an 8 twist. Spin drift It's only 2.0" at 500 yards in a 0mph wind. But it's more than a 12 twist would do.

Last edited:
I vote. 223 AI. Little Better performance not that big of a deal for reloading just enough to push 75-77 a little harder. hand loads with heavier bullets for coyote. Can still shoot 223 accurately out of it while forming brass at the same time for prairie dogs and such.

I was kicking around 22 Creedmoor for a while but I will be converting my 22-250 to a fast twist 22-250 AI also.
243/243AI would also be a good choice for laying the smack on them.

As far as your component list goes. Bartlien would be my choice for a steel barrel. Length of choice if running a can or not. Any SA bottom metal will work. Wyatt has an option for their mags or any standard Aics pattern bottom metal. Badger. PTG. Surgeon.band several companies make 223 AI pattern magazines. AI. Accurate. Etc.

Last edited:
16". 223AI. 77 GR SMK. 220 yards. Right behind the elbow on front leg. Ran 40 yards and piled up.

Attachments

• 9CCBBB4F-4251-4B1D-A9CF-0C350A741866.jpeg
    9CCBBB4F-4251-4B1D-A9CF-0C350A741866.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 138
If I build a new rifle I plan on building on a defiance tenacity. They are roughly the same weight as a remington 700 SA, smooth as butter and utilize all parts that go on a 700. They are also about as low cost as custom actions go. The beauty is that most barrel manufacturers are building shouldered prefits which save cost when it does come to re-barreling when you realize you should've built a .204 lol. I'm just kidding I just wanted to answer the original question without derailing this to a caliber bash. Personally I have a .223, .204, and .243 for coyotes and pdogs. They're built on Stiller, Shilen, and a seekins AR. I end up carrying whichever one I had bought or tweaked most recently. Seems like my favorite becomes whichever one has a new scope or trigger etc. I agree with you that the barrel burning is a concern but half the fun of guns is changing and rebarreling. Buy the best quality parts you can that aren't consumables.

223 is a good calling rifle where you wont be taking many shots over 300 yards. For a dedicated dog rifle, I like the bigger 22s such as the 250 and swift, and better yet are the 243/6mm/240 why or 25/06. My 2 dedicated dog rifles are a 240 WBY and a 2506. Even a bad hit at 600 yards still results in a dead dog. You shoot enough dogs with a 223, and you will eventually get a few runners, that's guaranteed!

Wonder why anyone would build a bolt gun in 223 ? An AR is a superior platform in 223 and just as accurate within the 223s envelope.

If you're concerned about a 22-250 frying barrels just load it down. You'll still have it when you need it.

I load my 7mm Mag to 7x57 levels and it's nice to shoot and deadly within 300 yards.

In the 60's and early 70's some of us had bad experiences with AR platform rifles and didn't learn to trust them yet so we like our bolt guns better still .

That is really funny. When the 3 Yotes come into my call and rabbit. I'll kill them all with my suppressed AR while you are fumbling with your bolt.

The 223 is an awesome coyote round. I've killed them out to 600 yards with mine. If using MPBR, the 250 and swift has a slight advantage, I have killed hundreds of dogs with my 223 - ammo is cheaper, barrel life is longer.

But you weren't being shot at and had the case separate in the chamber or a double feed leaves you with doubt for a long time .

The AR15 was designed by Eugene Stoner for ArmaLite . It was designed to use a 55gr. bullet with powder supplied by Remington Arms . When it was first built it had a 1 in 14 twist in a 20 " barrel tighter tolerances , no forward assist and full auto select fire running 600 to 700 rounds per minute . The military had a surplus of powder so they wanted it used but it had a faster burn rate so after sustained fire some times it would try to eject a round that was still tight fitting in the chamber and pull the rim off the case while still in the chamber then try to feed another round in on top of the stuck case . During a fire fight soldiers would often not pay attention that they had emptied their mag on full auto .They didn't have 20 round mags issued to them at first but you only wanted to load 18 rounds at a time so they didn't want to try to feed 2 rounds at first because of spring tension being too great . So as time moved on the tolerances got looser they made it a 3 round burst at a time and started to issue 20 round mags . Still using a gas operating system they get dirty and hot in the bolt carrier group area with sustained fire but all in all they do well these days . now they have a faster twist rate and run heaver bullets then the 55gr. they have shorter barrels better hand guards free floated barrels a place to mount optics limited round bursts and much more . That sir is why some people still chose a bolt gun . Bolt rifles when cleaned and lubed properly can be operated quit fast and if you have practiced with their use you don't have to raise you head to chamber another round they won't load as fast as an auto loader but I have taken several doubles with one . I personally run a right hand bolt shooting with my left hand and only have to move my right hand to chamber a new round .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts