Debating a 284. Win?

matt_3479

I'm in the midst of debating with myself on getting a 284. Win. There is a full custom (defiance deviant LA, Mcmillan a5, bartlein, jewel) that is more then a fair price built by some local gunsmiths that do increadible work. I have a custom 260. Rem built by them that just shoots too good its increadible! Anyways my question is what is your thoughts on a 284. Win pushing 180 hybrids. Rifle will be used for target and some hunting. No matches or serious target. Mostly want another custom rifle to play with while the other is cooling down lol

Yep. Take a look what they can do on accurate shooter.com. I got about 2940 out of mine with a 28" tube and nearly 3K with a 31". My 26" would make 2860.
Great round, stupendous brass, low recoil, very accurate....did I mention the BRASS?
I built all of mine on LA platforms as a SA really hurts with a long VLD.
I recently built a 7SAUM because I got a smoking deal on the barrel, I would have gone 284 in a heartbeat if one had come up for sale.
Build away and enjoy.

Brass is NOT a hassle now that Bullets.com has Norma producing the brass.

(You could also use Lapua 6.5-284 brass and neck it up. I use 6.5-284 Lapua for my 6mm-284s.)

Read what the owner of Bullets.com specified from Norma on this brass:

"Bullets.com's contract with Norma calls for advanced production methods to make sure the new brass is truly "match-grade" and long-lasting. To ensure that primer pockets stay tight for many firings, the caseheads on the new brass will be double-stamped for improved hardness and strength. Additionally the new brass will go through an additional draw stage to ensure ultra-uniform casewall thickness."

link to article: Norma to Make 6mm Dasher and .284 Win Brass for Bullets.com « Daily Bulletin

Heck it is even on sale. $129 per 100

Bullets.com®)

This is what target 284 looks like

Record-Setting .284 Win F-Classer

I have 280AI also 284 on long action and I had gunsmith order 2-7mm,1/9 twist barrels from Lilja and had both barrel finished length 27". With 284 I was just wanting another deer/antelope rifle and 280AI for elk and if I draw buck and elk tag same season and it's good addition to what I already like to use.

I do like 284 case as in the past builds, 284 on short action also couple 6x284 and 6.5x284 Norma long action. I use Nosler brass in the 280AI and never had a problem with it.

I don't use either rifle for targets and I have shot 180gr Berger VLD in both and tell you the truth I'd like little more horsepower with 180gr for me to use them hunting and that's just me. I stay with 160gr/168gr with 280AI and both are long throated.

I used Laupa in the 6.5x284 Norma so their is brass for 284. You can get on site I posted about target 284 and some using that Norma 284 and if you decide on 284 make sure reamer that is used work with that brass.

Kind of hard for me to pick one over the other as they were build for different reasons vs what your looking for.

I do agree with MudRunner you have short action and I'll leave it at that.

I would support the comments made about the quality of the brass/basic case design of the 284. After thousands of rounds reloaded, the Norma and Lapua (including necked up/down) 6.5x284 brass appears superior in terms of case and primer pocket integrity. I fully expect 10+ reloads without attention to case web weakening or loose primer pockets. I can't expect this with the 308/30-06 based cases and derivatives. IMO.

I have 2 .284 one short and one long. Brass is zero hassle and is very easy to come by. Most sporting goods store around here have 6.5-284 brass on the shelf.

Brass is really hard to come by. You might consider a .280 Rem or .280AI instead.

I may have typed it wrong but what I was meaning is there is a gently used one for sale so debating on a different caliber isn't really an option. The gunsmiths have record of being built (October 2016) and the current owner said it has 248rds down tube currently. I have a factory 7mm mag but it's a light weight hunting rifle. I figured this rifle is a great platform to built a rifle off of when this barrel is burnt out as he is asking a very reasonable price. And it leaves lots of options open as it is a long action. I thought the 284. Win had some serious love in the long range world. I had read previously about the 180's out of a 284 going 2800-2900 fps which seemed amazing for a short action cartridge pushing the heavies with very little powder at moderate speeds.

I may have typed it wrong but what I was meaning is there is a gently used one for sale so debating on a different caliber isn't really an option. The gunsmiths have record of being built (October 2016) and the current owner said it has 248rds down tube currently. I have a factory 7mm mag but it's a light weight hunting rifle. I figured this rifle is a great platform to built a rifle off of when this barrel is burnt out as he is asking a very reasonable price. And it leaves lots of options open as it is a long action. I thought the 284. Win had some serious love in the long range world. I had read previously about the 180's out of a 284 going 2800-2900 fps which seemed amazing for a short action cartridge pushing the heavies with very little powder at moderate speeds.
That kind of changes the equation. Buy Lapua brass, neck up, and have fun.

Ideally if I were to build a rifle right now I would go 300. Win mag as I had one before and loved it as a duel purpose hunting/target rig. I love the 7's and had my eye on doing a 7 of some sort for a bit as well. Being a mag bolt face is probably do 28 nosler or 7-300. Win, and a standard bolt face the 284. Win sat top of the list followed closely by 280 AI. I just thought at a fair price here's my chance to try the 284. Win and if I don't like it I can rebarrel/rechamber to something else. Just not sure what I would re barrel too being a long action standard bolt face as most of my "DREAM/WANT" rifles are mag bolt face or short action

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts